Realistic looking Exhaust Stacks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DarrenW

Staff Sergeant
Dec 24, 2017
Warren, MI USA
While gearing up to build my 1/32 scale F6F Hellcat I've been watching quite a few You Tube videos lately for both pointers and inspiration, eventually coming across this splendid 1/48 scale F4U-1D model which has in my opinion very realistic looking R-2800 exhaust stacks. Does anyone know some techniques a modeler could use in order to create such an effect?

The best view of the stacks appears at the 1 minute mark:

I suspect these are after market resin parts. They would be tough to make from scratch given that they route into manifolds (Hellcat's may be different) but if you are ambitious you could try making them out of solder. Solder bends easily and is not as tough and springy as copper wire. I don't know what diameter the individual tubes are but 2 inches in 1/32 would come out to about 1.6mm diameter.

Thank you for the great advice. I never thought about using solder, even though as an electronics repairman I work with it practically everyday.

What painting techniques would you suggest in order to get the same convincing rusted/burned look?

I would just take my favourite paints and mix some colours together to get that shade and then give everything a coat of clear matte. The more of that you apply, the flatter it gets but it can also get chalky so your should not overdo it.

Looking forward to your build. Hellcat exhausts....

1586356183860.png

Looking forward to your build. Hellcat exhausts....

Thanks for the great picture! I will definitely check back in as my build progresses. I'm in the information gathering phase at the moment. I haven't even decided if it will be an F6F-3 or -5 yet. Too many really cool options out there to explore.... :cool:

I know what you mean, half the world is shutdown and you're kinda left hanging in the breeze...

Really looking forward to any pics you can send my way! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back