Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks a lot Wayne! That will be very useful.

This has got the gears turning for a setup of right before she got hit. I know there were VMF-214 Corsairs taking off at the time, and that's why they lost 32 men. Does anyone know offhand what type of plane the bomber was? I seem to remember Judy from somewhere, but I can't say for certain.

I hit the motherlode in a book that I have: The Black Sheep: The Definitive Account of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in World War II by Bruce Gamble. Excellent book, read through it twice.

Anyways, 214 as you know was based on the Franklin from early 45 to when the Franklin got hit on March 19th 1945, so there's a part of the book on that attack. I was correct about it being a Judy that bombed the Franklin, and it was one of the radial engined kinds. It also gives me what planes were on the flight deck and how many of each! So there were:

5 SB2Cs
14 TBFs
12 F4Us, and about 7 had already taken off

I have to figure out exactly what I'm going to do, but I would like to have it set up right before it got hit. So now I need to hunt down enough planes haha. I won't be doing the full 90, as you can't really see into the hangar deck, but I'd like to do at least what's on the hangar deck. Thus far I have 4 each of Corsairs, Helldivers, Avengers as well as Hallcats and Dauntlesses, which apparently I won't be using. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get enough Corsairs and Avengers. I may not do the 5th Helldiver, as they're like 8 bucks for 6 planes, and since I don't need 5 extra Helldivers, we'll have to see. I also doubt I'll be able to find a 1/350th Judy, so I may have to attempt to scratchbuild one. This ain't gonna be cheap ahah. At least I'm "owed" another pack of F4Us, and I didn't have to pay for the carrier itself, which was like $150.

Changing theatres and timeframes completely, I have just added a 1/48th Airfix Hurricane Mk.1 to my stash, which will appear in 32 Squadron colours in due course 8)

I went looking for the infamous Novo Javelin today to restart construction, and it has gone temporarily (I hope!) MIA while I was away in Brighton, so the Do217 build will commence by New Years Day at the latest! Hopefully I will be able to find the Javelin and get it sorted eventually. I have quite a healthy stash at the moment though, so I will work through that over the next few months.

Great! Just got an email from Hannant's that they HAD received this order and dispatched it on the 23rd...!

So, in a few days, most likely next year, I'll have these on the doorstep, for the groupbuild...8)

And a decalsheet from Aeromaster, #48383, can't remember what it was other than it's something with "13" on it...

Soon enough, off to Modelhobbies to get more Vallejo paint etc...8)

Attachments

• TA61041.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 37
  • HAJT063.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 36
  • EAG48063.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 30
Nice little bundle Jan. I think you'll like the Dora; it looks very nice in my box, despite what's been written. As I posted earlier, according to Wayne's plans, and the 'factory' drawing I have, there aint much wrong with the wing for a D9, and I certainly can't see anything wrong with the prop or spinner! Perhaps the person who commented on the latter was getting confused with the 190A prop, spinner and engine front, which is on the same sprue!
BTW, Model Hobbies now have stock of the Revell 1/48th Mosquito BIV, which is flagged as 'New Tooling'; however, the picture shows what is supposed to be a FBVI, but looks very like the BAe TIII that crashed at Barton, my old club! Wonder if it's a re-tool of the old kit, with BIV, NFII and FBVI; a lot of kit and bits for the money, and it wasn't too bad for the era, faults aside. Thought I'd let you know, just in case..........

Okay, Santa was muy, mas muy good to Matt308.

Attachments

• DSCF1964.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF1963.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF1962.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF1961.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF1960.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF1965.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF1966.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1967.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF1969.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 33
Very cool haul Matt!8)

Got both the I-16 and PBY myself and know they're great kits!

Enjoy them! I look forward to seeing how they turn out!

Users who are viewing this thread