Red undercarriage legs on BF109G-10s?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now here's a vaguely related question on fuel...I want to displat the aircraft next to some 1:48 fuel barrels...does anybody know what stencilling the Luftwaffe put onto thei barrels of C3? Also, were the barrels of C3 fuel red too?

???

This looks like the same Bf 109, I know this has been posted before but it makes an interesting juxtaposition! Can't believe I just typed that :)

me_109_s_new.jpg

Bf_109G_belonging_to_Feldwebel_Muel.jpg

This aircraft is attributed to Feldwebel_Muel, so it may not be the same as in the line up.

Last edited:
Just re-read this thread and noticed the confusion over the state of grass air fields. The Luftwaffe's role in the early stages of an offensive was to support the army who were making rapid advances. They often found themselves operating literally from fields rather than prepared air fields.
I've attached a photo of a Bf109E-3 of III.JG 51 to illustrate the point.This is May 1940 as the Germans unleashed their Blitzkrieg on France.
109grass.gif

Steve

Just re-read this thread and noticed the confusion over the state of grass air fields. The Luftwaffe's role in the early stages of an offensive was to support the army who were making rapid advances. They often found themselves operating literally from fields rather than prepared air fields.
I've attached a photo of a Bf109E-3 of III.JG 51 to illustrate the point.This is May 1940 as the Germans unleashed their Blitzkrieg on France.

Steve

Alll is fine but it wasn't the rule. What is more Emils' red legs don't seem to be in usage .

I agree that it wasn't the rule. The advance accross France was so fast that they would have operated from any suitable fields,as indeed did the RAF,in withdrawal , at this time.
Emils would not have had the red "legs" as The "red leg" 109s were around when the G-6/AS and G-14/AS aircraft first came on the scene in the spring and summer of 1944. However, by the spring of 1945, this was no longer a requirement as everyone was used to the AS and D engine fuel requirements.
Later models used the newer 601 D engine which was "universal" and could be adjusted to use C-3 or B-4 fuel. Just as well given the parlous state of the Luftwaffe's fuel supply by this time!
Indeed a fuel and equipment list in March 1945 lists every single K4 unit as requiring B-4. Even the majority of G-10 equipped units are listed a B-4.
You can find similar images of makeshift airfields on the Eastern front at the time of the rapid advances that characterised the first months of Barbarossa.
Later in the war the Luftwaffe (in defence) was operating from prepared airfields and then, at the very end as the airfields became untenable due to complete allied air superiority, even from suitable lengths of road! There are many of images of camouflaged fighters parked under trees along sections of autobahn.
Cheers
Steve

I've attached a photo of a Bf109E-3 of III.JG 51 to illustrate the point.This is May 1940 as the Germans unleashed their Blitzkrieg on France
IIIIIIIIIIII thank you sir!
and that's not the only photo you will find of WWII fighters standing in long grass.

The fact that 'it wasn't the rule' is missing the point somewhat, there were (often were) situations where it wasn't possible to see the legs of the undercart and what difference does it make whether it's an Emil, Friedrich, Anton or a Dora? You can't see the undercart legs.

We can't see the undercarriage legs, but someone close enough to refuel the aircraft could.I agree that this rather defeats the object of the excercise as they would also see the "fuel triangle!"
The system was only used for a brief period when certain aircraft absolutely required the C-3 fuel. Using a lower grade would damage the engine. Most aircraft used B-4. It seems that the "universal" engines were almost always tweaked for B-4 as well.
Red legged 109s were actually rather uncommon. The only units on that 1945 document still needing C-3 fuel are II./JG 11 and IV./JG 4.
As far as long grass goes,from the hundreds of photographs I have looked at I'd say they are the exception rather than the rule.
I wonder if any of the uncommon "red legs" were ever used from the occasional makeshift air fields?
Someone will probably produce a photograph of just that now lol.
Cheers
Steve

109grass.gif

Steve

Besides, the place where the photo was taken could have been just a parking area. Im sure the actual runway would have been cut down shoter, I just dont see them taking off in tall grass like that. Too many what if's.

Besides, the place where the photo was taken could have been just a parking area. Im sure the actual runway would have been cut down shoter, I just dont see them taking off in tall grass like that. Too many what if's.

That is certainly so. Colin1's point was that coloured undercarriage legs would not be visible to the refuellers. The aircraft would be refuelled, as the one in my photo is being, at their dispersal point not on the "runway".
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back