Why the challenge?
Do forced landings from combat count as operational losses? Are holes in cockpits and hydraulics mere "teething issues"?
It's clear that most of you haven't read any of Claringbould's works, certainly not
Pacific Profiles, never mind Dunn's readily available online articles related to these overrated Allied aircraft, and just how exactly they were overrated, referencing actual Japanese documents, as opposed to some form of statistical manipulation like
GregP seemingly implied in his previous post. You're practically irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
Why the excessively high kill ratios for the Allied aircraft of the PTO, then? From all accounts, they're largely based on claims or victories, "confirmed" or otherwise, without taking into account actual losses reported by the enemy. They would especially be inaccurate for late 1943 and early 1944; Dunn's article on the F6F goes into some detail on how its claims could have been over-inflated almost 5-fold. The Japanese did over-claim by a considerably larger margin, but that's beside the point; the overall picture is a roughly 1:1 ratio for this period, and the same applies to the F4U, maybe the P-47 and P-38 as well. I don't have much data on hand, especially for kill ratios by year as opposed to the entire war, and by theatre. The Pacific Profiles books may provide some information in this regard, but I'm currently unsure. I may have to purchase them myself, seeing as how no one here appears to have even read or touched them. It's also important to note that the higher-ups in the US military were already aware of over-claiming to some non-negligible degree, even making occasional comments on it, though they appeared to have been unaware of its full extent.
Speed alone, be it level, while diving, or in a climb, doesn't appear to have been the overriding factor in WWII-era aerial combat that you think it was, not from what I've read recently. The A6M was also more durable than you likely think, according to remarks from Corsair pilots themselves.
The Ki-43-II, especially against its later, more advanced opponents, was effectively a 1942 aircraft. In that sense, it could even be considered equivalent to the fighter aircraft that were engaged in combat over Britain and the Channel in 1940, two whole years earlier. Despite its disadvantages, it apparently managed to hold its own against supposedly superior aircraft into early 1944, as shown in its engagements with the 400+mph Spitfire VIII.
I don't care. Either way, "outdated" A6Ms managed to keep up with 'state-of-the-art' enemy fighters into early 1944, both in kills and even in some cases, performance in the field. It matters not whether or not said A6Ms were manufactured in 1942 or in 1943/44.
I suppose that Rabaul had largely lost its relevance as a naval base by 1944, but A6M2/3s still appear to have been operational around that area into February 1944, especially as Rabaul was reinforced by carrier-based A6Ms, many of which were A6M2s.
Well, Claringbould and Dunn are both concerned with losses recorded by both sides, emphasis on both, as opposed to claims or "victories", which have been cited by nearly every historian, 'would-be' or otherwise, in Osprey titles and elsewhere, especially when discussing the WWII PTO.
It seems that this discussion has largely run its course in its brief lifetime. We keep circling this drain of kill ratios deflated by operational losses, something that no reputable individual, certainly not Claringbould or Dunn, has set out to do, and you would know this if any of you had actually read any of their works. As it stands, both the A6M and Ki-43 withstood opponents that should have had all the significant advantages, up until attrition had worn them significantly enough that the latter could finally gain a truly decisive advantage over them. With that in mind, I feel like WWII aviation, if not WWII or military aviation as a whole, has largely run its course for me. It has lost much of its lustre. On that note, this forum appears to be less active recently; it's as much in decline as is its subject matter.
I have read a great deal of Claringbould's Work, (notably several volumes each from both South Pacific Air War series and Solomons Air War series). I've also read several other similar books which cover the same and other Theaters with the same approach of using both-sides loss data rather than just claims, notably but not limited to Christopher Shores now sadly out of print three volume "Bloody Shambles" series about Burma and India, and his five volume Mediterranean Air War Series. Also Christer Bergsrom's "Black Cross / Red Star" series (which I don't 100% rate) and The First Team, Into the Endless Mist, Volume 2 (on the Aleutian War) and some others.
I think you will find that these and some others are actually known here, and many here own these books and have read many of them, but I would somewhat agree on your take that the implications of the data they show has really not been taken seriously into consideration. I agree with several of your points, namely:
Overclaiming was much worse than we assumed - (On every side). This definitely varied by Theater, with the South Pacific being one of the most chaotic and difficult to verify, but it was certainly much greater than I think people have realized. I should also note that overclaiming is often not intentional. Air combat is confusing, precisely who shot down an aircraft that was clearly destroyed (blew up, pilot bailed out etc.) isn't always obvious, and it turns out enemy aircraft may
look destroyed but survive to limp home. Including Japanese aircraft, to wit ...
Japanese Aircraft were much more formidable than the postwar legend has it - I agree with you that A6M and Ki-43 were far more effective fighters (and for much longer) than seems to be the consensus in the Anglophone sphere, both around here where people really could know better, and more generally.
Japanese Fighters were nowhere near as flimsy and disposable as the legend has it - Part of the reason for overclaiming is that it's quite clear that Japanese fighters often took heavy battle damage and still managed to limp home.
Some Allied Fighters were not as superior as claimed - This is a tricky one, because I think you are overstating it a little (and such claims tend to be overblown in both directions), but it's clear that Japanese fighters were not instantly overwhelmed by the second generation US (and British) fighters. Largely, I think, it's as Shortround6 said, many of them had long teething periods and the early versions were nowhere near as good as the later ones. But the later ones did eventually arrive...
Speed and Altitude Performance isn't everything - This too is abundantly clear, I think. I agree with your conclusion on that. It depends a lot on the nature of the fighting, but not all Theaters worked the way 8th Air Force heavy bomber raids or the Battle of Britain did. I think this is a common and very big mistake in Anglophone WW2 aviation circles.
Weather was a bigger problem than we tend to assume - So many planes lost to bad weather. So many nightmarish situations. More planes lost to weather than combat.
What counts as a victory is tricky to calculate - I tend to agree with what I think(?) you were saying, namely that an enemy aircraft which does not make it back to base and has to make a forced landing does also count as a victory, whether it is later recovered or not. A victory in fact doesn't really hinge on whether the plane could fly again, IMO. But the key factor is that the authors of these kinds of books need to use consistent standard for both sides.
These kinds of sources are really changing perception of the air war in WW2. You would think in a place like this that would be more welcome, but it's kind of hard to get your head around. In fact you yourself seem to be struggling with the revelations.
And I think you are also overstating some issues.
In Claringbould's Solomon Air War and South Pacific Air War series, it's already clear that there were some lop-sided victories for the Allies. I just finished reading South Pacific Air War Volume 6 which came out in August, and covers Jan-March 1943. And it's quite clear in that volume that Richard Bong for example did already shoot down a few Japanese fighters, and the Battle of the Bismark Sea
was a very lopsided Allied victory. In the appendix of that book he lists losses for each side in each volume, it's pretty clear that the Guadalcanal Campaign was also a catastrophe for the Japanese. In Oct 42 they lost 225 aircraft vs 203 for the US (including 85 A6M, vs 77 F4F lost) and much more telling, the Japanese lost 428 aircrew killed vs. 104 for the US.
Volume 6 also shows a lot of action for the P-38s, which did seem to do a bit better than the Japanese fighters, but they had some limitations. They were picking off Japanese fighters from altitude, often not lingering long to defend the bombers, (for very good reasons as these were the early P-38s, as Shortround6 noted.) But it does look like Bong already figured out how to make them work.
Another thing worth noting, for reasons I'm not really sure of, the US lost almost twice as many aircraft to accidents, mechanical problems and weather as the Japanese did, but by the end of this volume (Vol III) the Japanese had lost significantly more fighters than the US did. Mostly to P-38s, P-40s, and heavy bombers like B-17s and B-24s.
Some other things to keep in mind:
It's still basically the first generation of these new types of Operational Histories, - and they do have errors. This new approach is really exciting and promising, but it's not perfect yet. One thing to note, as an example, when Christopher Shores first attempted his first book on the Mediterranean - "Fighters over the Desert" way back in 1969, he checked the German records but forgot to check the Italian (and also, it was a lot harder to do). He concluded that most DAF aces had overclaimed by enormous amounts, which turned out to be a kind of overcorrection. Another researcher from Australia challenged him with his own book pointing out several omissions by Shores, who then eventually went back, made an alliance with an Italian researcher and was then able to include the Italian losses ... or at least some of them... plus more of the German losses (including forced landings etc.) and a lot more detail in general, in his new Mediterranean Air War series, and this was much more successful.
I think we are going to need to see a couple more rounds of checking these initial attempts to be real sure that we know, as best we can know, what really happened. But we can already at this point start to see some new and to me interesting patterns emerging.
Japanese records are indeed not perfect - One thing I've learned about Japanese records of operational losses is that they
did not always record aircraft losses, but they did record pilots or aircrew killed, missing or captured. Japanese fighter losses correlate pretty closely with lost pilots, but not perfectly. So this can sometimes be a problem. That said, I don't think it's anywhere near enough of a problem to account for 11-1 or 7-1 kill ratios, but there is
some gray area there.
The second / third generations of "uber" fighters did actually take a toll - In Shores "Bloody Shambles" Volume III, it's quite clear that the P-51B/C/D and the Spitfire Mk VIII
did in fact take a significantly unequal toll of the Ki-43s. By this point these were Ki-43-II and also some III (I don't know the exact number of these flying but I think Shortround6 is wrong about the numbers, there were definitely more than ten because there were whole units flying them). It was clear in the data and the Japanese pilots were complaining about it. They specifically noted that Spit VIII could outclimb them and that both Spit VIII and P-51B/C/D could extend away at will and come back to attack again.
My understanding about the F6F and the F4U is that initial successes were not as dramatic as some people think or thought, in fact as you noted the Corsairs initially were about equal, but they did actually start taking a heavy toll as they improved technical problems and developed tactics to suit the new aircraft. Claringbould's month by month operational history books haven't really got to this point yet, but probably the next volumes will see some Corsair data which should be very interesting. I think there were Corsairs in combat over the Solomons in April 1943.
What the exact ratios were I don't know for sure, but as someone already noted upthread, you don't need 7-1 to make a big difference. If there are frequent air clashes, 2-1 or even 1.5-1 in losses is actually a pretty big deal.
On the Ki-43 and A6M versions - I should also note, that in South pacific Air War Volume 6, which covers fighting through March 1943, the Japanese Army was
only flying
Ki-43-I, which is to say the earliest major production mark, with the two bladed propeller and often either two 7.7mm machine guns or one 7.7 and one 12.7mm machine gun. The much improved Ki-43-II with the three blade prop, armor, new supercharger and heavier guns hasn't showed up in New Guinea as of March 1943. But nevertheless, these Ki-43-I shot down plenty of Allied aircraft including some heavy bombers. In SPAW Vol 6 there were a mix of A6M2 and a couple of different types of A6M3 flying for the IJN.
In Bloody Shambles Vol 3, Ki-43-I and II were dominant over Hurricane Mk I and IIb and IIcs, about equal with Spitfire Mk V, P-38s and P-47s in this Theater, and seemed to have an edge over the early P-51A mustangs as well. On the other hand the RAF Mohawks seemed to hold their own against them, US P-40s clearly had an edge, and the Beaufighters and Vengeances rarely got shot down, but on the other hand Ki-43s shot down a lot of B-24s, C-47s, Blenheims and other Allied bombers. It's noteworthy that even at this stage (say 1942-43), it clearly wasn't a cakewalk for the IJA. They were taking steady losses, and the Ki-43 Sentai leaders were already being killed at an alarming rate, being replaced every few months. But it seems to be when the merlin powered P-51B and C started arriving, and the Spit VIII, they were having serious problems. The Spit VIII were brought in after an RAF officer finally made a big stink about the unsuitability of the Hurricane in this Theater. Once the new Mustang and the Spit VIII arrived, the Japanese pilots talked about it and the Ki-43 units started being used as close air support / fighter bombers, with the Ki-84 taking over most of the air to air (and according to some Japanese fighter pilots, using their speed to flee the battle area more often than not).
The big question though, for me, is
Why would this turn you off to WW2 Aviation History?
The old consensus was wrong. We now have an opportunity to develop a new one. To me it's fascinating. I don't know if people in this particular venue will really welcome the news, but it's certainly an exciting time if you are interested in this subject, as far as I can tell. Yes it's perhaps a bit shocking to find out that all that 11-1 stuff was B.S. But these old legends never fully rang true for me. Now we are starting to see something closer to the truth, not just in WW2 but also in the Korean War, Vietnam, many others. I think it's fascinating stuff. I wait for new releases of these operational histories with baited breath. The story wasn't nearly as simple as we thought. There was more than one way for a fighter to be effective, it seems. There is a lot to learn. Isn't that a good thing?