Reno 2013 Eye Candy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Sorry ... supposed to be 2013, as I'm sure you realize.

First pre-Reno 2013 test flight. This is startup and taxi out. The flight went well and Steve said the plane flew flawlessly. You can easily see there are no more oil cooler openings on either wing ... it has a boil-off system filled with ADI in the tail section.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiWAfS-w-w0

Steven Hinton Jr, your current National Champion, will be the Cockpit of Voodoo this year. Matt Jackson will be in Strega and Rare Bear will be back with sufficient cooling air to race. Don;t know who is flying it yet but would guess Stu Dawson or John Penney.

So we have at LEAST four very fast planes in the Unlimited class, possibly a lot more. All these will likely be in the Gold class. If they drop to Silver, it will be because of mechanical difficulties.

More as I get it.

Last edited:
Here's a clip of our 2012 airshow with the Horsemen flying 2 P-51's and our P-38.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvN0RRCksM8

Steve Hinton is flying the P-38 and the left-hand engine has just 2.5 hours on it after we overhauled it at Joe Yancey's shop. Suffice to say Joe was not a happy camper about it, but it worked out OK. Ed Shipley and Dan Friedken are flying the P-51's.

Last edited:
Sorry Cappy ... 2013 was what I intended. I checked the post and not the title. I do NOT know how to change the title of a thread ... if it can be done at all ...

Damn! It's not 2031? I was hoping to see space ships and flying cars! Where are the flying cars???
Forget the flying cars, how about something with a tail hook? Nevertheless, thanks for posting Greg. Although personally I think the Fury looks better in uniform. All in Red she looks like a streetwalker on 42nd street. :D

Last edited:
Well, the long-down Sanders 2-seat Sea Fury, with stock Centaurus engine, 5-bladed prop and military paint was JUST returned to flying condition and visited the Museum last Friday. It looks absolutely spiffy in it's basically Australiain paint scheme. I had JUST put my camera away when it taxied in unexpectedly, so I don't have a pic, but I'm sure they will surface.

I was just leaving and watched it taxi in and spin around. They are friends of the Musuem and personal friends of Steve Hinton. We'll see it again. I'll try to get pics again when it does.

The family has been operating Sea Furies for 50+ years and they are still some of the best at displaying it. I talked with a Sanders and she said the R-2800 in Argonaut was NOT becasue they couldn't get an R-3350 going ... it was because they were VERY tired of the R-3350 breaking when tweaked to racing power levels. Reliable when stock and somewhat expensive when tweaked to 4,000+ HP levels.

At 3,500 HP they will fly all day but at 4,400 HP they get VERY expensive rather quickly.

Hope Rare Bear has better Luck at Reno this year with the R-3350 ...

Last edited:
The family has been operating Sea Furies for 50+ years and they are still some of the best at displaying it. I talked with a Sanders and she said the R-2800 in Argonaut was NOT becasue they couldn't get an R-3350 going ... it was because they were VERY tired of the R-3350 breaking when tweaked to racing power levels. Reliable when stock and somewhat expensive when tweaked to 4,000+ HP levels.

At 3,500 HP they will fly all day but at 4,400 HP they get VERY expensive rather quickly.

Hope Rare Bear has better Luck at Reno this year with the R-3350 ...

Brings me back to my days days as a young pup engineer at the Curtiss Wright engine plant (reputed to be the old B-29 engine plant) in Wood Ridge NJ, I use to walk thru the test cells on my way to the J-65 facilities and hear the R-3350's running, endlessly. Obviously they were stock.

They have a radiator in the tail section that is filled with ADI fluid (water-methanol). They eliminate the oil cooler ducts and route the hot engine oil to the radiator. The ADI boils and creates some steam and a pop-off valve lets it boil off as the temperature and pressure get's too high. Meanwhile the ADI fluid is run through a condenser and has its volume replenished from a small tank. The cooled oil goes back to the engine.

When the fluid is gone, the oil stops being cooled, so the range is limited by the boil-off fluid capacity and power level, which is sufficient for a Reno race including takeoff, form-up, the race, and several minutes of landing formation and sequence. At low power levels, it is sufficient to ferry the plane some 250 miles or so, whereupon the team truck must catch up and refill the fluids.

Yeah, I know. I've been a BIG fan since I was 4 or 5 years old and only been around it since about 2006, though I got my pilot's license in 1982 after an abortive start in 1968.

It's been fun, but also work ... and I like that part. I know more about Allisons and aircaft work from ALumionum to structural patches, etc. than I thought I ever would. At this time, building an RV-4 or -7 would be easy and fun. Now if I just had the money ...

Great Eye Candy Greg, thanks for that.

irina-sheik-1.gif

My first thought was "Please God, let that strap break!"

My second thought was that I'd love to see here in my favorite outfit, a gownless evening strap!

The look on her face tells me she wants a Marguerita and I was too stupid to see it before just now.

Somebody slap me. Beat me, make me feel cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back