Reno Air Races September 15 - 19, 2021 | Reno, NV (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If only I was able to take time off from work... my oldest brother lives in Reno, and sometimes goes to the races to take photos.

But my fellow electrician at the solar-system installation company I work for is recovering from an accident, and I am the only license-holder, so I can't take any days off.

Would be nice to go again. The last time I went was 1988. However, I doubt that the " food" choices have changed. Sertoma food sucked donkey testicles big time. Eat well before you go as there will be nothing fit for human consumption before you return to Reno it's self.

Last edited:
I was invited to join a team this year but my active crew days are over, when all this COVID madness is over I'll be more open to travel and attend the races as a spectator, something I never did. I do miss the excitement and can't help getting a jitter in my gut every September.

Would be nice to go again. The last time I went was 1988. However, I doubt that the " food" choices have changed. Sertoma food sucked donkey testicles big time. Eat well before you go as there will be nothing fit for human consumption before you return to Reno it's self.
Oddly enough, that was my last time as well. I hung out with Lefty Gardner and help crew a little... just a little. Funny thing though, I have family in Stead, Fallon, Fernley and Truckee. My daughter goes to UNR... and I still can't get there.

A friend of mine bought a condo in Lake Tahoe and I talked him into going this year. I hadn't been for at least 30 years, so it could have been 1988 for me too. I first started going in 1968 as a kid and attended yearly until 1978. Temperatures in the mid 70's on Saturday, but high wind gusts in the afternoon caused cancellation of the races. The Thunderbirds, the F-35 and V-22 performances flew despite the wind, although The Thunderbirds show was altered. Sunday was 10 degrees cooler with gusty winds in the morning, but they died down in the afternoon and conditions were great, tee shirt weather. The Unlimited class wasn't quite as competitive as it was years ago, but the Gold race was very close for first and second place the entire eight laps.

In my opinion, Reno is a must see for any fan of aviation. If you go, make sure you get a pit pass so you can check out the racers up close.

There is nothing li9ke the AT6/SNJ Division. That was why I would go when I went. the Unlimited was too strung out for me.

The Unlimited Gold race this year had Dreadnought and Miss America battling it out for first and second for all eight laps. They were more competitive for those two positions than the three T-6/SNJ races I saw. Admittedly they did lap the rest of the field once, and sixth and seventh place twice... Hopwever, in the end Miss America was disqualified for some infraction and the Sanders brothers Sea Furys took the top three places.

Your point about the T-6/SNJ class is well taken though, those are the most evenly matched planes in any of the classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back