Replicas of original engines for warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK Wuzak, ask around and see who can claims they can make WWII battleship grade armor steel. Then ask if they have ever DONE so. Saying you can do something means nothing if you never have. If they can, I might be interested in some REAL steel, not virtual steel from someone who is not a steel supplier. Sounds like a Mythbusters show to me.

The Nuclear industry uses steels that would have made a battleship designer cry himself to sleep.

Moving away from the steel for a moment, I must admit I'd love to get into revamping or repairing old WWII engines. Mind you I was a propulsion Tech in the RAF for 19 years.

A guy I was in training with for a while had been on BBMF for about 5 years. Now that is a posting I would have ripped someones hand off to get.

I won't argue steel anymore. I just don't believe any of you since I have yet to see the proof, and I have been looking for it. Showing me a brochure for modernn armor plate does nolthing whatsoever for comparing it with older armor plate. If I had the specs of the older plate, I'd know more about it than anyone else.

The Nuclear industry doesn't need armor steel. They need steel of high consistent quality and of a certain thickness. A contanment package doesn't need to stop Naval shells, it simply needs to hold the pressure without cracking for 20 - 40 years or more. Ductility is more important than armor resistance.

Hi Ascent,

As someone who works in a shop dedicated to Allisons, I can understand where you are coming from. It is fun, but work, and you have to know people who do things the old way.

For instance, when a water pump shaft is worn out, we don't throw it away. We send it out and get the shaft plated with enough thickness to make it too big. We then send it out to be remachined down to new tolerances ... and we have a virtual new water pump shaft. Takes time and patience, but it has rewards. Much the same goes for other parts, too.

Good luck!

I'm looking for an Allison 1710 for a pet project of mine. I sent a PM, but my profile says it never went. Might be a forum permissions thing as I just joined? Looking for an approximate cost of a zero hr ready to go 1710. I know if I have to ask I can't afford it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back