Requesting hinomaru yosegaki flag translation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks David :)
I think Chuck does not necessarily have to care about the flag so much if his uncle did not ask him to return.
If cared, that would be endless.

I have been traveling and just saw this. Actually, before my uncle died 2 years ago I asked him several times about the potential of my returning the flag and his reaction was...well, typical of his generation, especially those who saw a great deal of combat against the Japanese and lost many friends and saw terrible things (especially while he was on Tarawa, the first of four landings he was in). Let's just say he got very quiet and changed the subject. I am a retired Marine and have obtained "souvenirs in war as well, but nothing as personal as this flag. As you saw from the Canberra Times story I sent you, my attitude towards possessing these sorts of items has changed. I would recommend all here go to the "Obon 2015" website and see the videos and stories regarding the impact the return of personal items has upon those willing to put themselves through it. Not all Japanese families are willing to. My eventual intention with the dogtag, the silver medallion, and the watch (although I may still be able to find a family for that) is to return them myself to an appropriate shrine on a future visit to Japan so that at a minimum they will have a proper resting place and be representative of their former owners, whoever they might have been. I don't do this expecting any accolades, simply to return things to their proper place and maybe create some positive "karma". It's personally very satisfying. I can't really explain it.

Hi Chuck !
Thanks for reading my last post and please let me pay my big respects again to your noble activities together with Obon 2015. I'm glad you are fine.

I said that would be endless because, as you may acknowledge well, uniforms/pistols/swords for the Japanese military officers were not government issue but personal property like the Yosegaki flags. Not a few officers, probably thousands, brought their priceless family treasure swords with them during the war and, dead or alive, most of them were confiscated by the Allies after the war was over.

Do you think we Japanese may ask you Americans to return them too in the future?
I think your uncle knew the right answer.

Hi Chuck !
Thanks for reading my last post and please let me pay my big respects again to your noble activities together with Obon 2015. I'm glad you are fine.

I said that would be endless because, as you may acknowledge well, uniforms/pistols/swords for the Japanese military officers were not government issue but personal property like the Yosegaki flags. Not a few officers, probably thousands, brought their priceless family treasure swords with them during the war and, dead or alive, most of them were confiscated by the Allies after the war was over.

Do you think we Japanese may ask you Americans to return them too in the future?
Hi Chuck !

I believe, from my internet research, that the return of swords whose owners can be identified is increasing - in fact some of them by the very veterans who took
them (now increasingly aged) - who wish to personally return them. I have a friend with two swords inherited (from his grandfather who was in the US Navy) with wooden tags with names (showing they were surrendered by their owners at a mass surrender ceremony, with tags in the hope they would one day be returned). I suggested they could be returned and received an emphatic "NO". There is still a great deal of bitterness here in certain sectors about the war and I note his other grandfather was killed off Guadalcanal as the result of a Japanese torpedo.

Thanks for your kind information, Chuck.
I am glad your friend seems understanding his sword value very well :)
We only produce again what we lost and we have been doing so since the war was over.
So, please don't mind so much.

For the security, please let me introduce a how-to of sword maintenance with video for your friend.
Once a month, wipe with micro sand powder to remove rust and finish with oil coating.

Thanks very much - I could use this as well as I have three unidentified swords (one is only a shin gunto sword). If you have a video regarding how to re-wrap the silk tape wrapping, would appreciate it.

I have checked a dozen of Youtube videos explained in Japanese or English but they are insufficient or inaccurate.
I think this attached file is the most reliable tutorial. Image taken from 刀の柄糸の巻き方(表側).
Image size: 4520 x 3150pix

Attachments

• Taping_all_steps.JPG
    Taping_all_steps.JPG
    816 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
You are welcome, Chuck, though it does not look easy job.
Tutorial says you had better fix the Tsuka (sword handle) on the table.
Apply adhesive on the tape ends to fix.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back