Revell 1/32 P-47D Thunderbolt(Smithsonian)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

prem895

Staff Sergeant
Oct 7, 2012
Toronto/Beijing
I hear that this is a bad built from start to finish. Wrong size rudder,landing gear too long,crappy fitting cowl and so on. I have one waiting on ebay for $25. Should I scrap it or do you think it is at least worth $25. Thanks Guys:confused:

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!qgFBZlBo8N(BQp(e(mPqg~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqZ,!qgFBZlBo8N(BQp(e(mPqg~~60_3.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 271
It would make a great practice model. There can be something found wrong with any kit, but this one would give you a chance to do some scratchbuilding and reconstruction work.

It is. Every now and then I like taking the "unbuildable" model and building it. But from what I can recall from a friend who had this one, it has so many things wrong; size/shape of wings, stabilizers, rudder, canopy, cowling, wrong locations/shapes of vents, doors, gun ports.... that it would be an almost total scratch. (BTW, he trashed his.)

Ah! My reply to your PM referred to the 'razorback' which, although inaccurate in parts, 'gets away with it' due to the shape. The 'bubble top' certainly looks wrong on the box art, and in photos I've seen of the model. The P-47 I built years ago looks acceptable, and as far as I remember, the gear legs were shortened at the oleos, which were moulded at full extension, and the angle of rake was also altered.
The kit is certainly worth it for the price, if used to practice skills, and, given it works out, at least you'll have something approximating a P-47 'bubble top'. If you want a good kit, then go with the higher-priced Hasegawa offering.

Was gonna say 'what about the Academy', but that's 1/48 as well! :oops: :lol:

Same here, nowadays, 1/48, then 1/32 and then 1/72, which reminds me, need to get back to my 1/32 F4U-4 and 1/72 Short Stirling! :lol:

Egh :O my mind just wandered to 1/48, thats like the "default" scale for me now :D lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back