RF-101C flight manual with main instrument panel pics (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

salutewwii

Airman
Jan 1, 2016
Decatur, AL
All,

As some of you know, I build aircraft display panels for combat vets (scaled down). I'm in need of an RF-101C instrument panel pic (main), original, as from the flight manual. If anyone can help I would be most grateful. I've looked everywhere here I could think of and can't seem to find anything posted. Thanks in advance....

Here are some. The whole manual, multiple versions of it, is available for free download at Aviation Archives

RF_YRF-101A Instruments55.png
RF_YRF-101A Instruments56.png
RF_YRF-101A Instruments53.png

Attachments

• RF_YRF-101A Instruments67.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments67.png
    361.5 KB · Views: 44
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments54.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments54.png
    257.3 KB · Views: 46
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments59.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments59.png
    326.1 KB · Views: 39
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments58.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments58.png
    300.9 KB · Views: 42
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments61.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments61.png
    281.7 KB · Views: 45
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments60.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments60.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 43
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments62.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments62.png
    293.6 KB · Views: 42
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments64.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments64.png
    297.4 KB · Views: 32
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments63.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments63.png
    336.3 KB · Views: 43
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments66.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments66.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 47
  • RF_YRF-101A Instruments65.png
    RF_YRF-101A Instruments65.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 50
Judging by the thread title you have requested the RF-101C variant and the link to the file there works. The one to the F-101C is really invalid. For the RF-101C click the Slow Download and then the Continue Download button. After 30s wait you should get the Start Download button.

Judging by the thread title you have requested the RF-101C variant and the link to the file there works. The one to the F-101C is really invalid. For the RF-101C click the Slow Download and then the Continue Download button. After 30s wait you should get the Start Download button.
Thanks for the tip....yeah, the F-101C was the invalid one. The RF-101C kept taking me to other websites (ads) and I kept expecting a link somewhere on the new tabs that were popping up...closing those and going back to the original tab (after waiting like you suggested) and clicking the "slow download" again worked.
I was able to get it. Thanks so much!

In all my excitement I failed to see that these are SAC manuals.....so no instrument panel references or pics in them. Did I miss something?
My old age is getting to me!

You didn't miss anything. The SAC, or Standard Aircraft Characteristics, only has LIMITED info on the aircraft. They never have any detailed info on the interior.
Also, the Flight Manual on that site is for the YRF-101A, which was the Prototype reconnaissance version of the F-101A Voodoo. The cockpit on the RF-101C was very different, especially considering the Block Numbers of the aircraft.
I saw some info on the RF-101C Voodoos when I went to Shaw AFB for Photo/Sensor systems training in 1972/73, but they were already being replaced by the RF-4C Phantom, which is what I wound up working on for most of my 24 year career.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate a downloadable copy of any RF-101C Voodoo Tech Orders, except for the limited info SAC manuals.
Even AVIAlogs only has the SAC manual for the RF-101C, no other maintenance or flight manuals.
Larry Engesath

Maybe this can be helpful .. more shots with the link below ..

View attachment 687793 View attachment 687794

the source: McDonnell RF-101C Voodoo
Yes, I have these already. Thank you though. If there is one thing I've learned after building these panels and researching different aircraft variants it's to NEVER put complete faith in museum restorations! While 99% of the time they are correct, I've seen panels butchered with the wrong instruments in them. It's been awhile since I've seen it but it does happen.
That's why I always want to reference the original manuals first....then try and nail down any upgrades/alternate part numbers within a variant. I usually try and get a parts manual as well, some I can find, some I can't. In this case, the altimeter installed is an AAU-19 (if I remember the model number correctly). Doesn't make sense looking at prior variants and later ones most all were behind the cover panel. That doesn't mean it wasn't done, just throws a up a big red flag to me. Just need to verify before I deliver a panel to a Vet, I want them to be as accurate as I can make them. Thanks again so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to look.

I served with a USAF officer who had been an RF-101 pilot in Vietnam. I asked him why the Air Force kept using the RF-101 for so long after the RF-4C came out.

He said that the best cameras in both the RF-4C and the RF-101 were not those located so visibly in the nose but the cameras that were located in the aft fuselage, between the engines. Both the RF-4C and the RF-101 had those cameras installed, but while the RF-4C was much higher performance aircraft, the Phantom's cameras suffered from vibrations that degraded those photographs. In contrast, the RF-101's aft mounted cameras had less vibration problems and thus provided superior results.

By the way, the Air Force even modded some F-101B's into RF-101 configuration. Monogram issued a RF-101G/H version of its F-101B kit.

I served with a USAF officer who had been an RF-101 pilot in Vietnam. I asked him why the Air Force kept using the RF-101 for so long after the RF-4C came out.

He said that the best cameras in both the RF-4C and the RF-101 were not those located so visibly in the nose but the cameras that were located in the aft fuselage, between the engines. Both the RF-4C and the RF-101 had those cameras installed, but while the RF-4C was much higher performance aircraft, the Phantom's cameras suffered from vibrations that degraded those photographs. In contrast, the RF-101's aft mounted cameras had less vibration problems and thus provided superior results.

By the way, the Air Force even modded some F-101B's into RF-101 configuration. Monogram issued a RF-101G/H version of its F-101B kit.
Thanks MIflyer! Great info!

You didn't miss anything. The SAC, or Standard Aircraft Characteristics, only has LIMITED info on the aircraft. They never have any detailed info on the interior.
Also, the Flight Manual on that site is for the YRF-101A, which was the Prototype reconnaissance version of the F-101A Voodoo. The cockpit on the RF-101C was very different, especially considering the Block Numbers of the aircraft.
I saw some info on the RF-101C Voodoos when I went to Shaw AFB for Photo/Sensor systems training in 1972/73, but they were already being replaced by the RF-4C Phantom, which is what I wound up working on for most of my 24 year career.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate a downloadable copy of any RF-101C Voodoo Tech Orders, except for the limited info SAC manuals.
Even AVIAlogs only has the SAC manual for the RF-101C, no other maintenance or flight manuals.
Larry Engesath
Thank you too Larry....and thank you for your service! I did some field testing at Shaw some years back with F-16's doing live gun runs over my head! And Close!
Was thrilling to say the least....interesting that the Air Force's safety standards are far less than the Navy's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back