RLM83

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

clinton78

Airman 1st Class
Nov 13, 2009
Don't know if you've seen this yet guys?

Just posted by Michael Ullmann over on TOCH here:

Hola Folks,

Last year in September I visit the IPMS Sweden Nationals. Then they asked me to give a presentation about RLM colours. I asked them I they want to hear something about my latest discoveries. Since then I was asked several times to give more information regarding RLM83. Here we go:

Test order E2-45/31: (Development and verification of camouflage for the Mediterranean Sea)
Report August 1943: Alongside RLM73 a 'darkblue' colour will be used. Flighttest in the near future.
Report September 1943: Using the camouflage pattern 'Land' and 'Sea' with RLM73 and the darkblue colour 300/III suggested for introduction.
Report November 1943: Closed with report dated 10th November 1943. Colour RLM83 'DARKBLUE' with RLM72 for Sea - and RLM70 for land aircraft suggested for introduction.
Sammelmitteilung 2, dated 15th August 1944: …on the dark shades RLM72, RLM73, RLM75, RLM81, RLM82, RLM83 …. (no colour was stated).

These original documentation of the introduction of the new colour leads to the conclusion that we have to expect a lot of 'darkblue' Luftwaffe aircraft in the Mediterranean*theatre.*Much more important for all those fighter-fans: This 'darkgreen', formerly known as RLM83, is nothing more, nothing less than a darkgreen variation of RLM81.

Photos of my finished Ju88 http://www.scalemates.com/whatsnew.php

Best Regards from Germany
Michael Ullmann

Heck, if it looks right, it's good enough!
Far too much variation in batch production, application, fading, abrasion, dirt and other 'weathering', not to mention 'scale effect', to bother about getting the exact shade. If the 'real' paint was used on a model, it would look totally wrong anyway!

Certainly would. I sort of hear echoes here of the 'Long tailed / short-tailed' Zero episode, although at least this time there's some basis to the statements!

In reading Jicehem's posts over on 72 scale, it does sound like RLM 83 is dark blue. To me that just means that what we thought was RLM 83 is now just not called RLM 83. Maybe it is RLM 82 thinned differently or mixed with something else? It has been documented enough that there are two greens and a brown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back