RNZAF Avengers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys,

Not really sure where to put this, and maybe I'd have better luck out in the main forum but I'll try it here. I'd like to do that monster Trumpeter Avenger in Kiwi wartime markings. One thing I have been unable to find are wartime photos of RNZAF Avengers with wings folded, so I'm wondering if the fold mechanisms were removed? I really have no idea. I've found photos of restored RNZAF Avengers with the wings folded but that doesn't really mean much. While we're at it, does anyone know any major differences there are between them and the US ones? I know from photos they didn't have different observation bubbles like the FAA aircraft.

Thanks

I don't think the wing fold mechanisms were removed, Cory. I've seen three of the four remaining original birds, all sitting with wings folded (1 in storage, 1 under restoration, and the 3rd as a completed restoration in cramped museum space)

You hardly ever see pics of kiwi Corsairs with wings folded either for that matter, but they could, and sometimes were, usually while under servicing.

AFAIK our TBF-1s and -1c's were straight US stock, ex US Navy I believe, so no FAA observation blisters or anything out of the ordinary during wartime use. Some were converted post war for crop dusting tests and target towing though, with faired over rear turret positions, and modified ventral gun positons to take an aerial winch.

Btw, of our 48 aircraft, only the TBF-1c's (NZ2507 - NZ2548 ) served in the PTO. The TBF-1s (NZ2501 - NZ2506) were deemed too underpowered and underarmed for combat operations, and relegated to training duties within New Zealand.

Last edited:
No worries mate!
Yep, the only non-RNZAF Avenger in NZ was the TBM-3 operated by the Alpine Fighter Collection for many years, now in Australia I believe. She was marked as NZ2518 'Plonky'.

Currently there are 4 in the country, all ex-RNZAF: (from Kiwi Aircraft Images )

TBF-1 NZ2504 (Bu No.24336), RNZAF Museum, Christchurch (marked as TBF-1c NZ2521)
TBF-1 NZ2505 (Bu No.24377), owned by the RNZAF Museum. On loan to the Gisbourne Aviation Historical Museum and under further restoration.
TBF-1c NZ2527 (Bu No.47859), Museum of Transport and Technology (MoTaT II), Auckland
TBF-1c NZ2539 (Bu No.48016), Ken Jacobs' private collection, Auckland

When are you doing your build, and what scale and manufacturer?

Thanks for the info Evan, I'll look through it later.

I was considering doing it for the carrier aircraft build, and it's a Trumpeter 1/32, hence me wanting (needing) to fold the wings. I know I can get some Ventura decals for a good price.

Good stuff mate.
Does this mean that land-based versions of carrier types are allowed in the build? May consider doing an RNZAF Dauntless, Corsair, or Avenger myself if so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back