Russian Interior Design

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

backtothewind

Banned
Oct 17, 2008
Had a 1/48th scale Zveda Lavochkin LA 5FN for Christmas and I'm ready to sart. Put the P 40n and Hawker Typhoon to one side and off we go.

Kit is very impressive for the price huge amount of detail inside the fuselage and engine bay.

BUT what are the interior colours? I know that an aluminium primer was used and the kit says silver, but I've also found reference to a pale apple green primer being used. I had a good shufty round the cockpit of the Lavochkin on IL 2 flight sim and I think that looks aluminium.

So any definitive ideas on this one.

Roger

@Lucky ......... yes that's where I got the pale apple green paint from FS24585.

So is this gospel or does the kit instructions carry any weigh? I understand that the Soviets used a special primer inside of aircraft.

This site seems to have an interesting range of enamals

White Ensign Models

WUP Grey Interior ......................... wood primer?
IMUP Blue-Grey Metal Primer .......... metal interior?
ALG-5 Grey Metal Primer ................ also metal primer?

Roger

Russians used some different primers for both metal and wooden parts preservation.

for metal

A-14 Stalnoj - steel - Humbrol 156 , FS x7200
ALG-1 - dirty yellow - Humbrol 81 , FS33481
ALG-5 - grey green - , FS x4670
Grunt mataliczeskij - blue green - Humbrol 122 , FS34664

for wood

Aerolak dierewjannyj - grey blue - Humbrol128 , FS x6320
At the beginning of the war it was AII aljumnij ( aluminium, silver ) FS17178 Humbrol 56,11.

@Lucky ......... yes that's where I got the pale apple green paint from FS24585.

So is this gospel or does the kit instructions carry any weigh? I understand that the Soviets used a special primer inside of aircraft.

This site seems to have an interesting range of enamals

White Ensign Models

WUP Grey Interior ......................... wood primer?
IMUP Blue-Grey Metal Primer .......... metal interior?
ALG-5 Grey Metal Primer ................ also metal primer?

Roger

Backtothewind, be wary of kit instructions for Soviet planes regarding colors and paint schemes (and decals also). Research the schemes to see if they are correct for the type of plane you're doing and the period it was used. That apple green for the interior doesn't seem right to me. I use the IMUP color for the interior of my IL-2's (I use Model Masters Flanker Blue/Gray, which is probably too dark but looks pretty close to the IMUP color), I guess this doesn't help you with the La-5FN, which didn't have a metal interior, but might help you with some other GPW planes. The White Ensign colors are supposed to be accurate Soviet colors, maybe the only complete set you can get for the GPW. I have them, but have not used them yet so I unfortunately cannot tell you how good they are. Wish I could be of more help.

Venganza

I have found these colour chips for VVS are these fairly accurate.
Unfortunately White Ensign Models don't seem to do a colour chart and IPMS don't seem to use the correct names.

Russiancolourchips.jpg

Roger

Unfortunately all colours that can be presented on a display screen can be incorrect due to some reasons.For instance the AII Brown on mt screen looks like redish one (a brick).But the colour was of earth-sand tonality rather.So it isn't a good sourse for it.It is better to find out more about Federal Standard codes for paints and then try to get one.

Those russian colours are a nightmare. My Il-2 instructions says to paint it All Light Brown and AMT-4 Green, got the WEM Light Brown, I'm not painting it yellow!

I understand you fully.The main problem is that Russians painted their planes with colours using JRD rule. :lol:

He he he "Jak Ręka Dała" it means they used what they had.The direct translation into English is "How a hand gave" :lol:

So I guess it's OK for me to apply the JRD rule to my Lavochkin :)

So I guess it's OK for me to apply the JRD rule to my Lavochkin :)

Backtothewind, as someone who's built a few Soviet models myself, I can tell you that whatever color you paint it, some smart*** is going to tell you with great authority that it's the wrong color, or the wrong shade, or tone, or whatever (as if they were there in person, back during the GPW). You should just pick what you think is right and looks good and do it. My feeling is, if someone can take me back in time and show me my model is painted incorrectly, then I'll repaint it. If not, I go by the good enough rule - if it looks good to me, then it's good enough. Good luck with your Lavochkin - you should post pictures of it when you get going on it. By the way, there is a company that makes a resin kit of the La-5 in 1/32nd scale! I'd buy it if I had the money ($155USD - a bit too much quid for me). Here's the link, if you're interested - CraftWorks, Inc. Lavochkin La-5/F/FN.

Venganza

Users who are viewing this thread

Back