"Savoirs of Guadalcanal" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Th!rdeye

Airman
Jun 16, 2008
Bradenville, PA
Story behind this next composite. I didn't include it my other post of composites, because the story is so descriptive and gritty, i felt it could use its own thread.

Please read the short story first. Composite is at bottom.

source for story The Cactus Air Force
Blue flames licked from the burbling exhaust stacks of the three fighters as they waited at the end of the runway called Fighter One. Over-heating was a real problem for the Allison V-1710 V-12s and when the engine temp began to rise so did the anxiety of the pilots. Adding to their discomfort, the pilots were already sweating from the musty heat and humidity of the nearby jungle. With first light, the three Bell Airacobras were flashing down the runway - heading into the rising sun to attack minions of the Empire of the Rising Sun. The fighters would be participating in one of the bloodiest engagements of the battle for Bloody Ridge. It was 14 September 1942.

Not long before their takeoff roll, Capt. John A. Thompson had reported to the "Pagoda" for his briefing - Col. Merrit Edson's Raider Battalion was barely hanging on to an elevated perimeter ridge which defended the southern approach to Henderson Field on Guadalcanal. The Marines had survived two nights of vicious attacks by Maj. Gen. Kiyotake Kawaguchi's brigade as well as bombardment from both sea and air. The leathernecks had only about 300 men left in their ranks, all of them prepared to fight to the end or blend into the forest to continue with a guerrilla war.

Captain Thompson and his two wingmen, Lt. B.E. Davis and Lt. Bryan Brown, had barely cleared the palms at the end of the runway, banking to the right when they had the bloody battle ground in sight. At the briefing a Marine officer, caked with the grime and dried blood of two days of almost continuous combat, had given the captain the relative positions of the American and Japanese troops on a crude map. Edson's 800+ men were fighting approximately the 1700 to 2000 Japanese troops that remained from a force of 2500 that actually made it to the ridge. The exhausted Japanese troops were getting ready for another attack - trying to break through the defensive line and capture the airfield. Without warning, the three P-400s swept in at tree top level! Thompson knew that to achieve maximum effect with his cannons and machine guns, the three would have to get as low to the ground as possible. The shark-toothed pursuits roared over the Japanese, guns blazing. Each plane was firing one 20mm cannon, two .50-caliber, and four .30-caliber Browning machine guns. Even with their different trajectories, considering the altitude and attitude at which the P-400s were flying, the withering fire decimated the regrouping enemy troops. Like a scythe, the Airacobras mowed down the Japanese soldiers with a wide swath all along the ridge.

The first pass was a surprise to Maj. Gen. Kawaguchi's men, but they had time to prepare for the next. As Thompson, Davis and Brown swept around for another attack, every pistol, rifle and machine gun available was pointed skyward. Again, the P-400s came in just a few feet above their victims, spraying the entire southern ridge with a barrage of bullets - this time, however, they were met with an equally intensive amount of small arms fire. Some of the Japanese soldiers, puddled into limp pieces of flesh, ending as mounds of congealed tissue on the ground. Others flew through the air as the larger bores tore at their bodies and mixed their blood with the volcanic mud of the island they would never leave.

In their dying efforts, however, they too drew blood from the enemy - this time in the farm of glycol bleeding from the radiator of Brown's craft. The young lieutenant had no other choice but to break off the attack and try to make it back to Henderson - these three P-400s were the only ones the Cactus Air Force had left.

Dank air mixed with the pungent smell of cordite leaving a coarse, bitter taste in Thompson's and Davis's nostrils and mouths as the remaining two aircraft swung around for another pass. Both planes had absorbed ground fire with no noticeable effect but the nerves of the pilots must have been jumping with electricity. As knots formed in their stomachs they continued their merry-go-round attack, but there was nothing merry about it. On the third run, the two remaining Airacobras came in so low it seemed they could have cut down the enemy with their propeller blades alone. The staccato of the machine gun fire counter pointed by the hesitating booms of the cannons had the same horrible effect as before. Some bodies exploded with the impact while others withered to the ground from the rifle-caliber machine guns. With no other option, the hapless Japanese returned fire, again with effect. This time Thompson had a stream of vapor trailing his aircraft as he too used the momentum of his attack to make it back to Fighter One.

Being in the only airworthy P-400 left on this Godforsaken island and the only plane that would withstand the entire fusillade of the enemy's wrath during another strafing run, one would forgive Lt. Davis if he gave up the attack and returned to base. But Davis knew that the Japanese had to he stopped. If not, Henderson would he lost and if Henderson was lost, Guadalcanal would be lost and if Guadalcanal was lost, the supply lines from the United States to Australia would he lost – he went in for another lonely pass.

The lieutenant continued his attacks and with each pass there was less and less returning small arms fire. Finally, he exhausted the ammunition and in his wake and the wake of the previous P-400s before him lay the now lifeless bodies of reportedly over 600 of Kawaguchi's finest. In this final action, the back of the Japanese advance was broken and the demoralized enemy retreated. For all intent and purposes, Guadalcanal was lost to the Empire and in essence, the Japanese had marched up to the line in the sand and were stopped dead in their tracks - they would never advance further east of Guadalcanal again. They would continue the struggle for this southern Solomon island, landing hundreds of men and tons of materials, the campaign was realistically lost and inexperienced American fighting men who only months before had been working in Montgomery Wards or pumping gas had won America's first amphibious operation against a seasoned enemy, hitherto thought to have been invincible.

Later, Maj. Gen. Alexander Vandergrift said that what the three airmen did would never make the newspapers, but that they saved Guadalcanal. Thompson received the Navy Cross while Brown and Davis received Silver Stars - they should have all been awarded Medals of Honor.

SavoirsofGuadalcanal.jpg

Hi,

Very courageous stuff and very interesting

I've done alittle research into Airacobras that came down under, P-400's infact, and have listed combined, some that arrived Poppy and those that arrived the long way via Sumac, then to Poppy

AP305/AP344/AP353/AP381/AP383/BW108/BW121/BW125/BW135/BW136/
BW137/BW138/BW139/BW143/BW145/BW146/BW147/BW148/BW151/BW154/BW156/BW157/BW158/BW159/BW160/BW162/BW165/BW167/BW173/BW175/BX136/BX137/BX138/BX149

If any one can match Group numbers with some, we'd appreciate the help, though my centre is on the 35th PG and later 8th FG

Best
Gordy

It's amazing how at every turn fate can be decided by one warrior doing their job. Perhaps that one run DID save the entire Guadalcanal campaign but so did the Navy pilots that took out the transport ships.. what if ONE bomb didn't find it's mark?

Interesting stuff.. thanks for the post

Dunno if this help,

It a copy of an old photo I found in the back museum in Port Moresby PNG.

No tail numbers just the letter and pilot.

P39 Airocobra.jpg

Hi,

Very courageous stuff and very interesting

I've done alittle research into Airacobras that came down under, P-400's infact, and have listed combined, some that arrived Poppy and those that arrived the long way via Sumac, then to Poppy

AP305/AP344/AP353/AP381/AP383/BW108/BW121/BW125/BW135/BW136/
BW137/BW138/BW139/BW143/BW145/BW146/BW147/BW148/BW151/BW154/BW156/BW157/BW158/BW159/BW160/BW162/BW165/BW167/BW173/BW175/BX136/BX137/BX138/BX149

If any one can match Group numbers with some, we'd appreciate the help, though my centre is on the 35th PG and later 8th FG

Best
Gordy

I've digging into the P-400's at Guadalcanal and can confirm a few that were in the 67th or, based on info I have found, are very likely 67th: BW146, BW151, BW155, BW156, BW157, BW165, BW166, BW167.

I'm just now doing research on P-400s with the 67th fighter squadron, and noticed this discussion while searching on the internet. Gordy has loads of info, and I wonder if you (Gordy), or anyone else, has what I'm looking for. I'm trying to get those serial numbers that were on Guadalcanal in Aug & Sept 1942- the initial 14, and their tail numbers (e.g. BW167 has #6 on the tail). Coupled with that, I'd like to know disposition/date. I know four planes were shot down on 30 Aug., and another lost when its engine died while aloft on 31 Aug. On 8 Sept. a plane was destroyed during an abortive take-off, possibly BW167. I do know that BW156 #12 was destroyed on the ground on 11 Sept. It would also be nice to know which ones were the nine shark-mouthed ones, and what the spinner colors were, but that's asking a lot!

Info I have: BW146 #20 "Whistlin' Britches", BW151 #13 "Hells Bell", BW155 possibly #22, BW156 #12 "Fancy Nancy", BW157 #13 from pair-a-dice section, BW166 #17 "Impatient Virgin" , and BW167 #6 (name unknown). But no disposition info except for Fancy Nancy. There is also a photo with Lt. Childress and #32, probably at Noumea, showing his shark-mouth artwork, but serial # is not visible.

Any help is very much appreciated!
Doug B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back