SBD marking detail (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
There's a brief peek at an interesting marking on the tail of an SBD in the 1944 movie "The Fighting Lady" - wonder why they thought it was necessary? I haven't seen it on other SBDs but then again I haven't really gone searching for it, either.
1656169615465.png

Whatever - put it in whichever section you like. There needs to be better guidance about this though.

Pure speculation:

In restoring our Dauntless early-mid 70s we had excellent support from Douglas Long Beach, notably from the late-great Harry Gann. Also had some input from NavHistory office in DC. Researching markings beyond the modeling norm, I found nothing comparable to the photo.

Guesstimate: some plane handlers might have pushed on the aft portion of the fuselage where there was not much structure, leading to dimples/dents? Also, it was Death or Worse to push on control surfaces. Sort of the aviation equivalent of Ranching 101: SHUT THE DAMN GATE!

There's a brief peek at an interesting marking on the tail of an SBD in the 1944 movie "The Fighting Lady" - wonder why they thought it was necessary? I haven't seen it on other SBDs but then again I haven't really gone searching for it, either. View attachment 675074
I think it might have something to do with the elevators. They were fabric covered. Definitely "hands off"

Hey everyone. Not certain of the origination of this picture or if it has anything to do with the original picture in this thread but I saw it and thought I'd post. The "HANDS OFF" message is on the back end of the SBD on the right side of the shot.

Attachments

• 5C0B07B7-073D-473C-A8E2-40E8F35B9DEB.jpeg
    5C0B07B7-073D-473C-A8E2-40E8F35B9DEB.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back