I am a bit puzzled by this thread... Dive bombing remained a significant deiivery option for modern aircraft through the Vietnam war. A-4, A-7 and A-6 aircraft and crew were all practiced in the technique.
WRT to the SBD Vs Ju-87 at Midway, it's not the bomb size but the endurance that's important in this comparison. The SBD had to perform an extensive target search, deliver its ordnance and find its home plate. Missions exceeding 4 hours on June 6 were common. Launch at ~7:30 AM and return at ~11:30 AM. was the profile. I am assuming the Ju-87 would be hard-put to carry a 1000 kg bomb for that kind of mission profile. Also, if I recall, the SBD-5 could accommodate a 1,600 lb. ordnance load but not the SBD-3 used at Midway, which typically (as was stated earlier) carried a ~500 kg bomb. I believe max payload was ~1,200 lbs for the -3.
The following website tabulating the circumstances of Modern era ejections from the A-6 has ~6 separate references to dive bombing performed by the A-6 which may appear a bit less dramatic than those performed during WW2 in that the dive angle was less severe, but is still regarded in the modern vernacular as
dive bombing (raising the oft posed question of what exactly consititutes a dive bomber and a dive bombing attack; a topic that has been covered in some detail in this forum.)
http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/aircraft_by_type/a6_prowler.htm
http://info.publicintelligence.net/PACNORWEST_TRCM.pdf
NAS Whidbey Instruction dated 12 July 2010, page 8-5, assigns a priority 4 to aircraft performing
high pattern dive bombing attacks. at the Boardman Oregon weapons range. I am assuming the instruction is still in effect with its recent date and dive bombing in the modern sense remains an option for attack type aircraft.