Schneider Trophy winners

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry to bump this up again, but I would be very interested to know when we can expect to see this book, does anyone have contact with the author ?

KraziKanuK said:
Sure they did, as the MC72 used Bank's fuel mixture to get that 3000hp. In fact it was F. Rodwell Banks who finally got the Fiats to run correctly.

If it has not been mentioned, the MC72 killed 2 pilots, Monti (Aug 2 '31) and Bellini (Aug 10 '31) because of the lean fuel-air mixture. Banks fixed this problem as well.

Nope, the problem that plagued the AS6 was backfire, and was fixed by a FIAT engineer, Mr. Armando Palanca with a certain amount of ingenuity.
He tested the engine on a ground rig with transparent fuel pipes, and noticed where in the circuit the fuel pressure was dropping. Once spotted the problem, fix was easy.
That was before Mr Banks was hired by Fiat.

As you may read on my previuos post in this same thread, all this record machines were tricky, there was a lot of dead pilots on all sides.

cheers

Hi Ollie,
I am at present doing a painting of the S13 flying over Swanage in 1919 during the misty Scheider Race day leading disqualification of the Italian.
Big problem is that I have not yet 100% proof of the colour of that actual S13(not the 2nd back up aircraft)
From the tones of the black/white photos, it appears to be Italian green, top surfaces and white under surfaces, but others inform me it was red on top and white below.
Have you any clues that could help.

Thanks
Jon

Hi,
In my researches for my app about the Schneider trophy races (see flip-time.com) I concluded that it raced in red only the Macchi series ended up timber coloured with green.

These early flyingboats were canoes with wings with engines mounted out of the spray.
Chris

Hi,

My researchs found that a Rolls Royce engineer visited Fiat and told them that the air forced into the inlet at speed made the fuel/air mix too weak and Supermarine engine was bench tested with forced air into the supercharger when Fiat copied this method the engine's fuel mix was corrected and the 72 took world speed record.

Chris

A very good book on the races and the a/c,
Schneider Trophy Racers by Robert Hirsch, Motorbooks International, 1993 ISBN 0-87938-616-9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back