Schneider Trophy winners

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If the rules had forced all the racers to use the same fuel I don't think that it would have been so easy for British engineers and pilots.

Supermarine S6 got a speed record of 655 Km/ h during the edition of september 1931 , with 2783 HP and a maximum pressure of 2.45 BARs from the supercharger and a M.E.P of 20 BARs (!).
Such performances would have been impossible for overheating and premature detonation troubles in the cylinders without a special kind of fuel projected by chemical engineer F.R Banks of Associated Ethyl.

A special fuel which could be only formally called "gasoline" since neither a drop of gasoline was in the tanks of Supermarine S6: 60 % Methilic alcohol, 30% benzylic alcohol, 10 % acethic acid for a fast evaporation in the carburettor to cool the air/fuel mixture and a sufficiently good caloric power to limit the consumption, + 11.1 parts/1000 of TEL to prevent premature detonation.

In Italy nobody knew anything about special fuels in 1930.MC 72 could express the superlative power of 3100 HP and the consequent speed record in few months without significative breakdowns or other troubles, thanks to the consulence of engineer Banks after the expiration of his agreement with Rolls-Royce.The fuel employed for the record was not as "exotic" as the one used by Rolls-royce: 55% gasoline, 23% ethilic alcohol, 22% benzylic alcohol + 1.5 parts/ 1000 of TEL.It was less polluting as well!

Italians had to project by themselves the first in-line tandem-style twin engine in the world, a reliable aeronautical supercharger ,a new fuel for racing purpose.....starting from zero, with their poor resources they challenged a giant as British Empire.Just to face such challenge was a success in itself....

trackend said:
Is that a fact?

... I think so :)

1 - Edition of 1931 was raced only by UK with Supermarine S6 B, because ALL other competitors (Italian and French) were not ready with their machines. So the S6 B was the sole competitor, racer and winner.
This is the best prove of the fact #1: MC 72 was not ready on time...

2 - About 'trickyness' of the racers.
At least two MC 72 crashed during the trials for the 1931 edition, with the death of pilots Monti and Bellini.
In the same edition the British suffered the loss of pilots E.Hope and G.L Brinton, while pilots Orlebar and Stainforth survived the crash of their machines (I have no reliable info if the machine was the S6 B or another competitor)
It seems enough to confirm fact # 2

3 - This is easy, just make a google search !
The speed record of 709,202 Kmh (with a best lap of over 711) obtained on Oct. 23, 1934 is still unsurpassed for prop driven seaplanes.

5 years later (March 1939) the record for prop driven planes was taken by the Heinkel He100 (746,450) , and in August 1961 the jet engined Beriev M10 took the record for seaplanes with 912 Kmh.

But no other 'otto' seaplane was ever faster than the MC 72.

Well Ollie I went up the science museum and got some shots of the S6B but as usual I'm as lucky as a one legged man at an arse kicking contest the plane is being restored. It had a bleeding great vacuum cleaner stood in front of it,the Schnieder Trophy is away for cleaning and the plane has been moved from where it used to stand so getting a shot in what was really low light conditions was a total bugger. So Im really sorry for the crappy shots Ollie.

Attachments

• supermarine_s6b_101.jpg
    supermarine_s6b_101.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 340
  • supermarine_s6b......._563.jpg
    supermarine_s6b......._563.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 358
  • supermarine_s6b......_209.jpg
    supermarine_s6b......_209.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 356
  • supermarine_s6b....._171.jpg
    supermarine_s6b....._171.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 354
  • supermarine_s6b...._132.jpg
    supermarine_s6b...._132.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 356
  • supermarine_s6b..._183.jpg
    supermarine_s6b..._183.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 358
  • supermarine_s6b.._521.jpg
    supermarine_s6b.._521.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 359
  • supermarine_s6b._181.jpg
    supermarine_s6b._181.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 371
Here is 'the late contender', Macchi MC72 with his (her?) 24V engine.

Each 12V engine was driving one of the contra-rotating prop, thus eliminating the torque effect: not bad with over 3000 bhp to manage in such light airplanes.

The bronze 'patches' are the element of the evaporation cooling system, placed everywhere on the plane

Attachments

• motoremc72_116.jpg
    motoremc72_116.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 304
  • mc72a_486.jpg
    mc72a_486.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 743
ollieholmes said:
I am thinking of possibly writing a book on this subject due to what i can see s big lack of. So i am looking for any info on the aeroplanes that won the events, Who flew them, Where they where held etc and also photos would be great. Thank you in advance.
i live about 5 miles from the curtiss museum mind you it's in the states but would be willing to chance a cavity search if req'd is there anything in particular you require[-o<

Hi all

Just joined and trawling through the threads out of interest, I have an interest in Stainforth who flew with the Schneider trophy flight, he went on to serve with and command 600 Sqn.

Any how I would be interested to know when this book is to be published, it's always great to see another angle on a particular subject.

Cheers

Jean

A book on the races with a description of the pre-race, the race, and the a/c including scale drawings and photos: Schneider Trophy Racers Robert Hirsch ISBN 0-87936-636-9 192 pages of glossy paper

Here is another: The Schneider Trophy Story Edward Eves ISBN 0760311188 252 pages

And, another: The Schneider Trophy Races Ralph Barker ISBN 0701116633 272pages

SM79Sparviero said:
If the rules had forced all the racers to use the same fuel I don't think that it would have been so easy for British engineers and pilots.

Supermarine S6 got a speed record of 655 Km/ h during the edition of september 1931 , with 2783 HP and a maximum pressure of 2.45 BARs from the supercharger and a M.E.P of 20 BARs (!).
Such performances would have been impossible for overheating and premature detonation troubles in the cylinders without a special kind of fuel projected by chemical engineer F.R Banks of Associated Ethyl.

A special fuel which could be only formally called "gasoline" since neither a drop of gasoline was in the tanks of Supermarine S6: 60 % Methilic alcohol, 30% benzylic alcohol, 10 % acethic acid for a fast evaporation in the carburettor to cool the air/fuel mixture and a sufficiently good caloric power to limit the consumption, + 11.1 parts/1000 of TEL to prevent premature detonation.

In Italy nobody knew anything about special fuels in 1930.MC 72 could express the superlative power of 3100 HP and the consequent speed record in few months without significative breakdowns or other troubles, thanks to the consulence of engineer Banks after the expiration of his agreement with Rolls-Royce.The fuel employed for the record was not as "exotic" as the one used by Rolls-royce: 55% gasoline, 23% ethilic alcohol, 22% benzylic alcohol + 1.5 parts/ 1000 of TEL.It was less polluting as well!

Italians had to project by themselves the first in-line tandem-style twin engine in the world, a reliable aeronautical supercharger ,a new fuel for racing purpose.....starting from zero, with their poor resources they challenged a giant as British Empire.Just to face such challenge was a success in itself....

Sure they did, as the MC72 used Bank's fuel mixture to get that 3000hp. In fact it was F. Rodwell Banks who finally got the Fiats to run correctly.

If it has not been mentioned, the MC72 killed 2 pilots, Monti (Aug 2 '31) and Bellini (Aug 10 '31) because of the lean fuel-air mixture. Banks fixed this problem as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back