Schwarzpanzer's sources

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've seen a picture of a King Tiger's frontal armour that's been pierced. I don't have it. But I do know the story behind it, and it wasn't pierced in combat. The said King Tiger was turret #502 and was used as target practice, and shot to pieces by varying calibres and cannon of the Soviet inventory. In the picture all the pot marks around the eventual hole are clearly present.

Not so. '502' (bottom pic) is still with us and on display at Kubinka.
'102' (top pic) was the Tiger used in the firing trials.

Attachments

• penetrationx0012.jpg
    penetrationx0012.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 76
  • penetrationx0014sml.jpg
    penetrationx0014sml.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 71
I sit corrected. I'll remember that in future. I'm not sure where my mix up has come from, but thanks for the correction.

Yep, hit over 100 times all over with anything from 50-152mm guns. It was truly shot to pieces. And the 100mm D-10 projectile which penetrated the front turret hit right where the gun-sight was situated, one of the weakest spots on any tank.

Henk that is the link to the Russian test where litterally hundreds of rounds had been thrown at the tank even before the real testing began - In truth it is worth absolutely nothing.

If you look closely at the British firing trial Tiger you can see hit number 131. So what exactly did the Russians do that made you think 'over 100 hits' was unfair?

Attachments

• Penetrationx131.jpg
    Penetrationx131.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back