Searching for Novel about the German jet retreival in 1945-6 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nomisllewdor

Recruit
May 8, 2023
I read in the 1990s a novel about an RAF pilot who was sent to find somevof the experimental aircraft and bring them back to the UK. Can't remember the title or author. Operation Lusty never mentioned in the novel. Maybe this rings a bell with someone on here. Many thanks if so.

I read in the 1990s a novel about an RAF pilot who was sent to find somevof the experimental aircraft and bring them back to the UK. Can't remember the title or author. Operation Lusty never mentioned in the novel. Maybe this rings a bell with someone on here. Many thanks if so.

Perhaps

1684928945414.png

Novel = fiction

"Wings on my Sleeve" was Eric Brown's autobiography = real life.

Operation Lusty was the USAAF operation to gather intelligence and aircraft from across Germany.

These were then sent back to the USA on HMS Reaper under the code name Operation Seahorse in July 1945. There is a list of her cargo here.

There was a parallel British operation, under the title the Fedden Mission

Searching out German tech and scientists / engineers / aircraft designers in 1945 was pretty much a free for all with little shared between Allies!

no shit Sherlock.

Thanks yes i have read Wings on my Sleeve. The factual stuff i am fairly familiar with. This book i remember was a Novel. I keep thinking about Walter J Boynevwho wrote Roaring Thunder and others - but that was an american flavour novel. The novel i remember was specifically a British one. RAF officer called in to London office in 1945 and sent on independant mission to find German jets. Somewher in the novel he flies an Arado 234 - i think to escape some post-war Nazi death squad still operating.
Fantasy stuff - but I quite liked it so still wonder who the author was.

Of course - understandable - he was an amazing chap Winkle Brown and its an amazing and varied account

EwenS, I think what Snautzer01 was politely saying is that perhaps he was mistaken that it was a novel because it so closely mirrors the life of Eric "Winkle" Brown.
Nope i was just being friendly toward Ewen.

I am not a retarded caveman. I do know the difference. And i can eat with a knife and fork.

The question was a tad vague but as i read it it and not knowing the o.p. I pitched something that came close.
Perhaps i read dear ewens reply wrong but i thought it a bit pedentic.

Agreed he is a good suggestion and i have a copy of KG200. I certainly did a search on him before for this one but no joy. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back