Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've scanned the announcements and news and not found anything indicating that I can't recommend a novel written by my dad in this section, so I'm going to, because it's right in this wheelhouse. If this is against the rules, I apologize and feel free to delete it. (And yes, there's now a movie by that name, but his book came out years before it.)

Ad Astra is a novel about a Kansas boy who ends up a B-17 pilot in the SW Pacific in '42-'43, and his struggle to adapt to life stateside after his wartime experiences. Dad was inspired by a lifetime love for the B-17, his decades as a private and corporate pilot himself, the loss of a cousin in the 8th over France, and my own decades-long research into Jay Zeamer's crew, the Eager Beavers. Ad Astra received some great reviews, including from Writer's Digest and Douglas Walker, son of BrigGen Kenneth Walker, who was CO of the 43rd BG in '42-'43. It's really a good book written by someone who lived that era and who intimately understands the nature of flying and flight. At times he matches Richard Bach in his description of the experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back