"The Nugget" by P. T. Deutermann

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NVSMITH

Airman 1st Class
Jul 26, 2011
Copyright 2019 by CAPT P. T. Deutermann, USN (ret). CAPT Deutermann is a 1963 USNA graduate who spent 26 years on active duty, all surface, primarily destroyers. He has written over 20 books, eight of them classified as "sea stories" but I think "The Nugget" is his first foray into naval aviation. The hero is an ensign arriving at Pearl Harbor on Dec 6, 1941, a newly minted dive bomber pilot there to join squadron Bombing 6 of the USS Enterprise. I won't go into details. Suffice to say he goes through Midway but is shot down near Guadalcanal. He and his radioman-gunner then begin an odyssey involving combat on the Canal, a submarine voyage and years with guerillas in the Philippines, followed by... Only the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the book involves flying. Some might like it; I found it hard going. CAPT Deutermann probably has all the nautical information correct, but I'm a ground pounder and his accuracy in my realm of expertise suffers somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back