Second opinions needed about some ww2 aircraft remarks..

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The F-15 is better. And how could you think the Fw-190D is amongst the best, when you don't include the Spitfire. :rolleyes:

The only modern aircraft that could stand up against an F-15 is the Su-27, everyone forgets the modern Russian aircraft! But for a good multi purpose aircraft I would have to stick with the Eagle.
I don't agree that the Mustang was overrated, It didn't get a good reputation for nothing. It was the main front line fighter of the US during WW2, like the Eagle is now, and it was a more than capable aircraft that could perform any task well. Other aircraft may have been a better dog fighter, faster, more manouverable, or better in an attack role but none of them outlived the Mustang, the USAF were still using a variant of it up until the late 70's.

FLYBOYJ said:
wmaxt said:
FLYBOYJ said:
The SU-27 doesn't have a 101-to-0 kill record 8)

I think it's higher than that these days. Something I have to interject though my dad subscribes to "Air Force Magazine" In war games with the Indian Air Force with the SU-27s they won half or better in the last set of games. This has caused the Air Force to start examining the training, flight hours, radars etc of the airforce F-15, F-16 et al. to correct the posibility of the F-15 losing it's No. 1 status.

wmaxt

Yep - we talked about that on another thread. I work at the US Air Force Academy and heard a few things (rumours) about this;

1. The Indian pilots were just better than the US guys sent over there.
2. The US guys were tired and some were at one point sick.
3. The Indians kept violating the "hardeck" (I don't believe that)
4. The US guys played "rope-a-dope."
5. The US guys just got their butts kicked!

I think that 1 and 5 were the case, but that's my own opinion! 8)

I heard that the US Air Force deliberately put their own fighters at a disadvantage (something to do with radars) so that the F15s would look bad and they could turn to congress and say "this proves the F15 is becoming obsolete so we need more F22s as soon as possible"

Smokey said:
FLYBOYJ said:
wmaxt said:
FLYBOYJ said:
The SU-27 doesn't have a 101-to-0 kill record 8)

I think it's higher than that these days. Something I have to interject though my dad subscribes to "Air Force Magazine" In war games with the Indian Air Force with the SU-27s they won half or better in the last set of games. This has caused the Air Force to start examining the training, flight hours, radars etc of the airforce F-15, F-16 et al. to correct the posibility of the F-15 losing it's No. 1 status.

wmaxt

Yep - we talked about that on another thread. I work at the US Air Force Academy and heard a few things (rumours) about this;

1. The Indian pilots were just better than the US guys sent over there.
2. The US guys were tired and some were at one point sick.
3. The Indians kept violating the "hardeck" (I don't believe that)
4. The US guys played "rope-a-dope."
5. The US guys just got their butts kicked!

I think that 1 and 5 were the case, but that's my own opinion! 8)

I heard that the US Air Force deliberately put their own fighters at a disadvantage (something to do with radars) so that the F15s would look bad and they could turn to congress and say "this proves the F15 is becoming obsolete so we need more F22s as soon as possible"

Yep - That's what I meant in comment 4. Once and a while I hear talk of this at the academy from newly assigned instructors.

cheddar cheese said:
The F-15. I dont know jack s**t about modern fighters but id say the F-15E.

During the Gulf war an F-15 caught an Iraqi Super Felon helicopter hovering above the desert. With no gun available, the WSO got an IR signature on the and the crew then proceded to drop a laser guided 500 pound bomb on the helicopter! Needless to say the F-15E crew was credited with a kill! ;)

Could you imangine being in that helicopter? :shock:

No thanks, I'll take the 500 lbs it's much more of a sudden death. If the A-10 doesn't kill you on instant, then that's going to be one painful injury.

"Hmm, I'm sure I had two legs a second ago..."

:lol:

i was speaking about the avenger cannon (fitted to the A-10) with a friend who did not know about it, after i mentioned depleted uranium shells, he was drueling for several days........

the lancaster kicks ass said:
:lol:

i was speaking about the avenger cannon (fitted to the A-10) with a friend who did not know about it, after i mentioned depleted uranium shells, he was drueling for several days........

Anti-war organizations are up in arms about depleted uraninum in ordanance saying the US is making the world "radioactive." Delpeted uraninum is also used on large aircraft control surfaces counterbalances and elevator counterbalances.

I once read about a spitfire pilot remarking to a 109 pilot he had downed.

The Spit pilot said "Do you kno why the Spit is a better aircraft than the 109?"

"No" replied the German "Why?"

To which the Englishman replied "Because any idiot can fly one."

I think that this adresses a lot of the comments in this thread.

Back to being offtopic here. The F-15 is a better fighter then the F-14. The F-14 was built for carrier defence. It uses its AIM-54 Pheonix missiles to knock out targets 100 miles away. If the F-14 does its job right it never sees the target except on its radar.

The F-15 however is no where near the best dogfighter. The F-16 and F-18 can outturn the large F-15 anyday. The Mig-29, Su-27, and Eurofighter are the same way. The F-15 is losing its ground mainly do to its age.

And CC the F-15E is not actually a fighter it is a Strike aircraft. Yes it can be used as a fighter but its main purpose is for ground attack.

Now back on topic. I think we all agree the P-51D is overated and that the artical was written out of either:

a) Political reasons.
b) Patriotism (even though they should have choses the P-47N if that was the case).
c) They dont really know anything at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back