Second opinions needed about some ww2 aircraft remarks.. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the lancaster kicks ass said:
alder said:
Yes in fact all F-14's have been upgraded and believe it or not that has been there main mission since the Balkan conflicts.

and don't they, rather imaginatively, call them "Bombcats"??

Yep - they did well as a bomber, but now they are going to the bone yard as we speak!

I can believe it. It was full of working parts. I can only imagine the work that went into the variable wings.

She to me though is still my favorite modern jet and will go down in history as one of the greatest.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
F-35 got canceled I believe didn't it.

Oh no, its just not sure exactly when its entering service. Northrop (subcontractor for the center fuselage) is delivering the first units to Fort Worth. See below.....

Friday, June 17, 2005 - Representatives of the nine nations partnering on the Lockheed Martin Joint Strike Fighter program took part in a unique ceremony at the Paris Air Show - assembling a scale model of the next-generation F-35 to demonstrate team solidarity.

"This is a symbolic exercise, but it reinforces the reality that the F-35 is truly an international project with unprecedented worldwide industrial and political reach," said Tom Burbage, Lockheed Martin executive vice president and general manager of F-35 JSF program integration. "As easy as it was to assemble this model, the real thing back in Fort Worth also is going together with similar ease. It's compelling evidence that the digital thread connecting our design directly to our manufacturing processes is performing as advertised to keep this program affordable."

Delegates from the United Kingdom, Italy, the Netherlands, Turkey, Canada, Australia, Denmark, Norway and the United States took turns adding sections of the 1/10th-scale model until it was completed. Each section displays the flag of one partner country.

"The completed F-35 model comprises nine sections fused into a single entity – a perfect analogy of the unity displayed by the JSF partner countries on which the success of this program depends," Burbage said. "The JSF program already is showing its potential to strengthen allied ties while helping to galvanize the economies of each partner nation."

I am not sure on that Lanc.

I actually did think the JSF was canceled though. I know the Comanche was and I think the F-22 may go on the cutting block.

Comanche - yes. F-22, the Pentagon is continually reducing its numbers. The F-35 is being built, its just a matter of who will buy what version and in what quantities.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
what about the JSFs we're supposed to get?? if you drop them will we still get ours??

The current word is that the problems, mostly weight gain, have been corrected and the JSF F-35 is on target for production and delivery. I think delivery will allow operations to start in 2012 for the Marines and the following year for the Air Force and Navy. It wouldn't surprise me if the Brittish version matched the Marine as that version matches up with verticle take off etc. The first pre-production aircraft will fly next year.
This data is the most current per June 2005 Air Force Magazine. Also neither this year or next years budget for the F-35 will be touched.

Eventuly the F-35 will replace the Hornet.

wmaxt

the royal navy is planning to recieve our two new supercarriers in 2011 with deliveries of the JSFs starting in 2012 i believe..........

and the names of our new carriers suck, "HMS Queen Elisabeth II" and "HMS Prince of Wales" now i'm patriotic but those names suck!! where's the Ark Royal??........

Isnt it the all out replacement for the Hornet and the F-16.

Yes and the Harrier.

The Lanc is correct too, the carriers and the F-35 have been adjusted to "Fit" together.

wmaxt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back