Second opinions needed about some ww2 aircraft remarks.. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was about to say that, I was just discussing it with my dad. He says it's most likely a pitot but it's huge. So, it's either a pitot or a re-fueling probe, maybe some aerial. Either way, it's stupidly large.

That thing underneath the Yak-38 is a pitot, that's how small they can be. :rolleyes: Silly Russians. And for you those that don't know, the pitot detects the pressure from the air and gives the pilot many of his speed readings.

Actually I would think it is a pitot tube with an Air Data Sensor. An "ADS" Is used in conjunction with the old Inertial navigation system (INS). This is basically a 1960s navigation computer.

You wouldn't normally put a re-fueling probe above the intake. I think pitot is the best explanation.

We had a pilot leave his pitot cover on one time when he was doing some tests on the aircraft without a crewchief and he turned the pitot anti ice on and it melted the cover to the tube. It was bad, very very bad.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
We had a pilot leave his pitot cover on one time when he was doing some tests on the aircraft without a crewchief and he turned the pitot anti ice on and it melted the cover to the tube. It was bad, very very bad.

I've actually seem them catch fire! :shock:

Most of it flaked off, it really burnt up the "Remove Before Flight" flag. One of the other pilots saved the remanents and put it in the pilot's drawer who turned on the pitot heater later that week.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
it really burnt up the "Remove Before Flight" flag

:lol:

Oh it was great, a "Remove before flight" flag burning on the side of a P-3! :lol: You should of seen the look on the pilot's face when he saw it, then he tried to blame the maintainers. There was a squadron SOP that stated whoever turned on the pitot heat was responsible to ensure the covers were removed!

Pilots! Officers! What do they know! :rolleyes: :lol:

Everything that is used to cover or plug something on the aircraft has a "Remove Before Flight" flag on it. We get safety reports from across the Army on aviation accidents and such not and the funny one we got the other day was a crew that took off to a 30ft. hover in a UH-60L Blackhawk. At 30ft. both engine TGT's spiked really high and they immediatly set the aircraft down with any incident or injury to crew. Uppon inspecition of the aircraft it was discovered that both Engine Inlet Plugs with "Remove Before Flight" flags on them were still plugged into the Engine Inlets!

No shit this happened. I could not stop laughing and wondering what idiot would do something like this. :lol:

What I really want to know is how they got to a 30ft Hover without noticing anything. They should have noticed it while on initial run up when the TGT was not right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back