secret army

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jrk

Airman 1st Class
Jul 26, 2005
staffordshire
well not long to go now.i shall soon be recieving my full dvd collection of this timeless wartime classic drama serial.it was filmed from 1977 to 1979 and was based on the belgian resistance fighters based in the cafe(later to move premises and be named restaurant)candide.it was mostly about shot down aircrews landing in belgium and attempting to make thier way back to britain.most of the crews were shot down during the night raids on the german industries.the man who thought of the theory for the series was a veteran ww2 fighter pilot gerard glaister.

Sounds interesting, I've never heard of it. I myself was very happy the other day because I finally got my hands on a copy of Too Late The Hero on DVD, one of my all time favourite movies. Also just bought the excellent mini series The Cowra Breakout on DVD as well.

Wildcat said:
Sounds interesting, I've never heard of it. I myself was very happy the other day because I finally got my hands on a copy of Too Late The Hero on DVD, one of my all time favourite movies. Also just bought the excellent mini series The Cowra Breakout on DVD as well.

i thought i,d heard of it on video/dvd but wasnt sure.if its the one i,m thinking of did it have jason donovan and craig mclachlan in it?

secret army was indeed a cool programme evanglider.the very first screening back in 77 attracted over 6 million viewers alone.(top that crappy eastenders and coronation street lol).it was filmed by the bbc for the studio parts i.e the cafe and several indoor shots and a belgain t.v. company brt actually shot the on location shots in several parts of brussels although some parts of brussels were shot in east anglia in england doubling for the belgian landscape.

jrk said:
Wildcat said:

i thought i,d heard of it on video/dvd but wasnt sure.if its the one i,m thinking of did it have jason donovan and craig mclachlan in it?

No I think thats "The Heroes" which is about the Z force raid on Singapore Harbour. The Cowra Breakout is about the mass escape of Japanese POW's in Australia.

I heard the the series Allo Allo went down a storm in France Lanc, they thought it was hilarious apparently the copper worked really well when dubbed talking French and using mispronunciation's.
I remember in Secret Army one scene where a captured agent is being interogated and being threatened with a pistol, he says to the German officer "little man big gun" and the officer says "big man little brain"
it was a good series.

allo allo was a complete take off of secret army lanc.the writers decided to do a comedy version of the original.i think fairfax was his name one of the 2 airmen they couldnt get rid of actually played inspector delon in secret army.its ironic how he starred in both.

yes indeed trackend secret army was classic t.v and i wish they would make programmes of that calibre nowadays.and the amount of stars it spawned who later went on to become more known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back