Seeking photos or links to 4 BFTS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alex Smart

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2018
Hi,
Due to a question of an a/c serial number that is at present in doubt.
I am seeking to view photos of or links to those used by 4 BFTS.
Many thanks,
Alex

A couple from the net ...

BP207.jpg

BP212.jpg

BP243.jpg

BP250.jpg

BP205.jpg

BP9 Stearman.jpg

the pic source:
Facebook

Many thanks.
I assume that the individual aircraft in Squadron numbers were always preceeded by the letters "BP", so expect that this would have been used from the very start of the Squadron ?
Also is it known how many aircraft would make up the Squadron ?

Training was similar in all BFTSs and occupied 28 weeks. Originally, there were three parts: Primary on Stearman PT17, Basic on Vultee BT13 and Advanced on North American AT6A. From Course No. 9, Basic was deleted, cadets going from 12 weeks Primary to 16 weeks Advanced. After the initial build up, when the first Courses of 50 cadets arrived in quicker succession, new Courses arrived at 7 weeks intervals. From No. 11, Courses comprised about 80 RAF and 20 USAAF Cadets and arrived at 9 week intervals.

Actually I didn't find any accurate info on the school organization. Howewer I found this ..

At No. 4 BFTS in August 1945, a tornado destroyed most of the Stearmans and there were all replaced within days.

On August 1, 1945, a hurricane in Arizona caused four Stearman PT-17 aircraft to be blown into an orange grove and 37 to be totally destroyed at 4BFTS
(Mesa). On August 4, the 40 Stearman PT-13 (powered by Lycoming engines) were flown in from Minter Field, Bakersfield, California, to replace these PT-17s. As
they were not equipped for night flying or instrument flying, Primary Training had to be modified however, as Japan surrendered on August 14 and all flying training in the USA stopped, in the end it mattered not at all!!
the source: RAF Flying Training USA 1941 -1945 (As written in 1999)

Judging by the quotation there were , at least, 41 planes in the school for the primary training in 1945. Also it was mentioned that the training comprised 27-28 weeks. There were 300 cadets under training at any one time in each BFTS with the 100 cadets arriving every nine weeks. Additionally it is stated that there came 2181 cadets to the 4BFTS ( IMHO from the June 1941 to the August 1945 when the school was working ) and graduated 1380. The killed cadets 23 what gives the 37% guys eleminated during the training.
So it can be assumed that the similar number of the AT-6 for the advanced trainig had to be there too. As a result there could be about 70 planes in total for all the training levels. The number of the AT6 seems to be about 15, the same about the Vultee BT13A and about 40 of the PT-17 Stearmans. However the numbers of aircraft could vary in time.

Additionally three images more ...

BP206.jpg

BP257.jpg

BP-242.jpg

the source: Facebook

Regarding the "BP" marking it seems you are right. The one was used earlier because I found that it could be the black "O" eg.. O-D, O-P, O-U, O-Z or O-AM at the cockpit area on the fuselage side and the black number on the engine cowling in 1945. Please check on the gallery here ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back