Self-seling fuel cells

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maxrobot1

Senior Airman
Sep 28, 2009
From what I understand, WWII self-sealing fuel cells were made from layers of rubber (or early synthetic rubber) laminated with something gooey in between. They added to the weight of the A/C and reduced the tankage compared to non-self sealed cells.
In Warbird restoration, how do you deal with delaminating cells that are rotting, decomposing or just rotten?
In the F4U Corsair the fuel cell is easy to get at but some had them built inside the wings or in the fuselage where they are inaccessible. I know replacement cells can be made (A subsidiary of my former employer, Meggitt, makes fuel cells) but do you just give up and leave some rotten tanks in place?

Self-sealing tanks have multiple layers of rubber and reinforcing fabric, one of vulcanized rubber and one of untreated natural rubber that can absorb oil and expand when wet. When a fuel tank is punctured, the fuel will seep into the layers, causing the swelling of the untreated layer, thus sealing the puncture.
If the restoration is cosmetic (display only) why would anyone care or even notice if the tank had been replaced. If the restoration is to fly again why bother with self-sealing tanks? No one is going to be shooting at you

I don;t know of any warbirds that have new, self-sealing fuel cells. They are redone with standard fuel cells since, as said earlier, they aren't getting shot at by anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back