Shenyang JJ-5 North Vietnamese Air Force - n° 1505 of 910 th Training Regiment "Julius Fucik" (Hobby Boss 1/48) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi everyone ;

as part of the build group for the 2020/2021 season of my club the Maquette Club Niortais (located in the west of France halfway between La Rochelle and Futuroscope) on the theme of the Vietnam War, I chose to ride a plane that you rarely see.

This is the two-seater version of the MiG-17 F Fresco C designed by China under the name of Shenyang JJ-5 or FT-5 for its export version.

For this build group, I will represent a machine from the 910 th Training Regiment "Julius Fucik" (a Czech Marxist writer born in 1903 and died in 1943) of the North Vietnam Air Force in 1967.

55_2011.jpg

images10.jpg

A little history:

The Shenyang JJ-5 was designed on the basis of the JJ-2 (Chinese construction of the MiG-15 UTI) and J-5 (Chinese construction of the MiG-17 F) following the split between the USSR and China at the start from the 60s. The armament of this version then only has one 23 mm gun

This two-seater version of the MiG-17 allowed China and its customers to have a more powerful training aircraft than the MiG-15 UTI.

The export users were:

_ Albania
_ North Korea
_ Pakistan
_ Tanzania
_ Zimbabwe
_ Sri Lanka
_ North Vietnam

The export version of the JJ-5 is called FT-5.

The Hobby Boss kit :

0042.jpg

Published in 2010 this model consists of:

_ 127 pieces of light gray plastic spread over 5 clusters

0328.jpg

0528.jpg

0730.jpg

0926.jpg

1125.jpg

_ 7 transparent pieces spread over 2 bunches

0131.jpg

0228.jpg

The decals sheet allows us 3 decoration options:

1518.jpg

_ The white 510 of the PLAAF acrobatic team
_ The red 63549 of the 4th PLAAF Aviation Academy
_ The 55-1136 of the 1st FCU of the Pakistani Air Force based in Miānwāli

To improve this kit, I use the resin seats from Pavla intended for the MiG-17s.

1616.jpg

Cordially

Hi everyone;

the assembly began on September 12 at a club meeting

In order to ensure optimal alignment of the fuselage elements, I started by assembling the front and rear parts of each half fuselage before adding the wings and the fixed planes of the elevators.

m0242.jpg

m0339.jpg

The curvature flaps are also in place.

m0141.jpg

m0439.jpg

The nose gear well is placed on the air intake and the underside of the fuselage.

m0538.jpg

m0639.jpg

Hi everyone;

Then comes the painting of the cockpit to which I only added in scratch the throttles (those in yellow) on the left side consoles.

Base color Gunze H-67, then washoklir Black and transplanted details in Black (Lifecolor LC-02), Red (Gunze H-23), Yellow (Gunze H-4) Silver (Prince August Air Metal 52) and Blue ( Gunze H-35)

m0737.jpg

m0836.jpg

The glass of the dials is simulated with colorless glossy nail polish.

m0936.jpg

The white band on the dashboards serving as a guide for setting the broom stick to neutral is made with White Oilbrusher (A.MIG 3501)

m1035.jpg

m1132.jpg

m1234.jpg

Assembly then painting of the Klimov VK-1F of this little Shenyang JJ-5.

m1333.jpg

m1436.jpg

m1534.jpg

m1636.jpg

This one is made with various tones of Vallejo Metal Color (Jet Exhaust, Pale Burnt Metal, Magnesium and Duraluminium) and a touch of aluminum (Prince August Air Metal)

The burnt / blued metal effects are done with Blue, Sepia and Cool Gray markers. The set also receives a Black washoklir.

Closing the fuselage was not an easy task, it required the use of masking tape which was arranged to serve as tie rods to constrain the assemblies so as to try to have the best possible surface finish for the further assembly

m1834.jpg

m1935.jpg

The engine remains slightly visible through the speed brakes

m1736.jpg

A little glimpse of the cockpit

m2034.jpg

m2132.jpg

Tonight back from work, I was finally able to rework a little on the JJ-5 from Hobby Boss: D: D

On the menu, sanding and resuming the engraving, then installation of the arch between the two cockpits, rudders and pitot tubes.

m2229.jpg

m2327.jpg

m2427.jpg

m2527.jpg

The painting will start to approach quickly. Next step, the preparation of the trains and their hatches.

Cordially

Hello Crimea River;

Lovely work. I had not heard of using nail polish for instruments. Interesting method of gluing the wings on before the fuselage halves are glued together - I would be very afraid of getting the wings angled incorrectly.

i usually use nail polish for mounting photoetched dashboards.

For gluing the wings, I control the angle of it during assembly with a template cut out of cardboard.

Cordially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back