Sherman Main gun (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Does any of You know something about the Panther design with gaz turbine propulsion? I read that several prototypes of the engines have been build (mostly from Porsche). That thing could be nerd!

The main problem with the Panzers was, I feel, the Maybach engines.

No Schwarz, the problem is the Maybach was probably the best tank engine to emerge from WW2.

Hi Glider,

I meant that when the tank caught fire, the explosion was more violent in the T34 - which is bad for any tank-riders or nearby infantry. I posted a link some time back on a Soviet Tankers report on the 'Emcha' (Sherman) explaining this. The Sherman was easier to set off though, you are right.

2 things that counted towards the T34's protection were it's low silhouette and maneuverability.

Hi delcyros,

I remember something similar, try looking up Aoereole and/or schnellpanzer(spelling??), but I think it was a myth?

Much better would be a turbo-diesel (which was tried).

Hi Vassili,

Yes, the Super Sherman. Used AMX guns/turrets IIRC.

Hi Soren,

The Maybach was crap as a military engine, admit it. Difficult to build, thirsty and unreliable. You did prove to me that it was torquey though, but it could never match a diesel.

My choice is the V-2, though I don't think it needed to be aluminium (better used on planes IMHO), but could it have used a turbo?

A modified plane engine would have been better, but Germany never really concentrated on one particular engine, did it?

If I remember correctly, didn't the Israelis use modified Shermans in the six-day war in 1967.

I just saw a special on the history channel about the six-day war and they said that the Israelis modified the Shermans with upgraded armor and 105 mm gun with what looks like a new turret. Apparently they were very effective against Russian tanks.

I just saw a special on the history channel about the six-day war and they said that the Israelis modified the Shermans with upgraded armor and 105 mm gun with what looks like a new turret. Apparently they were very effective against Russian tanks.

Nice, I forget, which tanks Russian lent tanks did the Syrians, Egyptians, and Lebanese armies have?

For the 6 day war the Egyptian and Syrian forces were mainly T55's with a smattering of T34/85's. They were also a number of PT76's. For the 1973 war the T55's were supported by T62's.
The Jordainian Army was equipped with Centurions.

Lent was the wrong word, the Russians made sure the kit was paid for.

I saw that too - the Sherman looked pretty badass w/ all those improvements!

I saw that too - the Sherman looked pretty badass w/ all those improvements!

I didn't seed the programme but know the tank your talking about. Personally I thought it looked dangerously top heavy for a tank that may have to operate in the Golan Heights.

The 105 in question isn't the British L7 fitted to Centurions but a French 105 as used in some versions of the AMX13. Very dangerous if you get it by it and no doubt capable of taking out a T55.

The problem was it couldn't fight at any distance. The Sherman clearly lacked modern rangefinders and the shell being a smoothbore doesn't spin imparing its accuracy at any distance. Plus of course the Sherman is a big target. The success of the Isreali troops using these tanks shows how important training and determination is.

As they say 'it isn't the size of the dog in the fight that counts, its the size of the fight in the dog'.

m51hassi_5.jpg

m51hassi_1.jpg

m51hassi_2.jpg

m51hassi_4.jpg

m51hassi_3.jpg

intro648.jpg

04-M-51Sherman,IDF,Son.JPG

M51 Super Sherman IDF

Sources on Right Click

On the subject of tanks in the Isreal region, as you know Isreal has some of the best tanks in the world. The first Isreali tanks where;

2 Cromwells 'aquired' from the British in Palestine
1 deralict Sherman due for the the scap heap
a few French hotchkiss light tanks, smuggled in (which would DEAFINATLY be blown to peices by any other tank of it's day

The Israels tend to only care about what is needed and what works. My brother worked at the Naval Air Rework Facility in Pensacola on A-4s. During the 73 Israeli war, the Israelis wanted every A-4 they could find. These came through the rework facility. My brother said that they only wanted two thing to work, flight controls and bomb releases. Nothing else was repaired. Some leaked fuel like a sieve but were shipped out as is.

Hi Glider,
Hi Soren,

The Maybach was crap as a military engine, admit it. Difficult to build, thirsty and unreliable.

Ha ! It was about the most reliable tank engine of WW2 considering the inviroments and conditions in which it had to operate !

Have you ever seen it in real life ??? It was made with three things in mind, RUGGEDNESS, LIGHT WEIGHT QUALITY ! If you ever get a chance to look at it inside up close, take notice of the casting - Brilliant !

And in terms of being thirsty, well aint all tank engines. ;)

The V-2 might have seemed reliable to the Russians, but the Tank's which featured it didn't have too long a life expectancy either ! - plus spare parts weren't an issue for the Russians who had more than enough to go around.

Yes, a high silhouette is never good. Apparently, the T34 had a low silhouette because it had rear wheel drive. I also hear it was built in larger numbers than the Sherman in WW2, but I'm not so sure.:confused:
A source Soren? - That'd be the book you recommended to me!:D (T34/76, with the cutaway on the front)

I have sseen the Maybach Soren. HL230, was unimpressed by the crankshaft (or was it conrods?) - forget why. Also heard it had no thermostat - that can't be right? The bearings were pointed out as too complicated. It's problem was that it was too time-consuming to make, your comments on the castings help this arguement, but I feel it was a bad design anyway. The older Maybachs I don't knoww, they were reliable enough and some were diesel, but lacking in power a little?

I am impressed with the forerunner to the HL230 though, the HL210 (but not as a tank engine):

Nice linky:

Tiger I Information Center - The Maybach Engine

- Any Yank should know the word 'Hemi' means?8)

Pity there's nothing like that for the V-2.:(

I suppose the Maybachs could use different fuels too, but maybe the Meteor was better? (Tried, tested and reliable)

Judging from your comments Schwarz, you haven't seen the Maybach HL230 up close inside out. And abou the bearings, well they were about the sturdiest built during WWII.

They are roller bearings, great for F1, not so good for a mass-produced, desperately needed engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back