Skyraider info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

otftch

Staff Sergeant
Dec 8, 2006
Franklinton,NC
Anyone have any information on this AD Skyraider? I've never seen one in overall orange ?
Ed

Attachments

• AD-4B 15-MAY-53.jpg
    AD-4B 15-MAY-53.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
That overall color was typically used for target drones, although I was not aware of any Skyraiders used for that. They also used skyraiders for drone tugs and in nuclear testing. Here are some Hellcat shots of Hellcats that were target drones. These were also taken at China Lake, which is likely where the shot you posted was.

Attachments

• 079004 F6F-5K 03MAR50 PMTC NAF NP45-H-02761.jpg
    079004 F6F-5K 03MAR50 PMTC NAF NP45-H-02761.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 079279 F6F-5K 03MAR50 PMTC NAF NP45-H-02761.jpg
    079279 F6F-5K 03MAR50 PMTC NAF NP45-H-02761.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 104
I'm no expert but saw lots of skyraiders in vietnam. the pic looks like an air show and that is a Navy plane in the backround
so my guess is that is NAS Corpus Christi, Texas where skyraider pilots were trained. Aviation Training Unit 301
training skyraiders were painted in orange and white, though i don't see any white in the pic

Wasn't China Lake a gunnery school? As the 'watermark' states 'China lake Alumni', I think the pic might have been taken there, probably in the 1950s, judging by the Phantom 1 or Banshee in the background, and I think the Skyraider is more than likely a tug.

A-1s were not used as trainers. China Lake was not a gunnery school, but a place to research, develop, and test weapons systems for the US Navy. Aircraft used for testing and evaluation often carry that orange to provide high contrast visibility. Judging by the color scheme and history of the Skyraider and China Lake, it was most likely a target tug, with the high visibility scheme in place so that the target would get shot at, instead of the tug.

evangilder, by trainer i did not mean "learn-to-fly" trainer but a plane used to train pilots who were going to fly A-1s in combat how to fly the A-1. they were based in Corpus Christi, Texas, Avaition Training Unit 301

evangilder, i'm definitely no expert but skyraider pilots saved our bacon more times then i can remember so i did talk to several of them and i remember them saying texas and remarking on the camo paint

Thanks for the clarification Erich. I knew China Lake had something to do with weapons and research, but wasn't sure if it was the Test and Evaluation Centre, or a Weapons Training School.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back