Směr 1/48 Macchi Castoldi MC 72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Haven't used Vallejo primer myself but if you could elaborate a bit more on what you did (thinning, psi etc.) It may allow others to zero in on what went wrong a little better.

Looking very nice so far even with the primer problems.

Well, I didn't shake the bottle that hard, but I did give it a stir, and I didn't thin it. The airbrush clogged one time, and when I finished, I noticed on everything was sticky. The surface was rugged, which would definitely ruin the final coat, so I removed it with water, and later, alcohol. It mostly peeled in thick pieces.

I will try again on a leftover piece but with thinner and a good shake.

Here it is yesterday's work, way more red. Hopefully I will be done with the red today.

EDibcAXl.jpg

Well, primer problems are gone.

Here it is, after 526 layers of Italian Red:

0kqAog7l.jpg

LOZFm9Ll.jpg

Now, time to fix those red spots, and coat it with Vallejo gloss.
Any tips on the Vallejo gloss coat? Never liked how my gloss coats turn out to be, and this one has to be good.

Looking nice. :thumbright:

...Any tips on the Vallejo gloss coat? Never liked how my gloss coats turn out to be, and this one has to be good.

As far as I know there shouln't be any trouble. However I would check on the reaction with the coulour of radiators firstly. The metalic paints like getting the darker, dirty matt tone when a such varnish is applied Mostly that's the matter of thinner.

Nice. Sorry for the delay, camp internet sucks and then I lost track of this thread. I have Vallejo White and Grey primers. The first thing I've learned is to shake the living crap out of it. Once you're done.....shake it some more. I watched a good video on Youtube about using the primer. It should be misted on in light coats at about 15psi. After a couple light coats you can spray a heavier coat. The nice thing about the primer is that it dries very fast. Also recommended is to wait a minimum of 24 hours before doing any masking

Nice. Sorry for the delay, camp internet sucks and then I lost track of this thread. I have Vallejo White and Grey primers. The first thing I've learned is to shake the living crap out of it. Once you're done.....shake it some more. I watched a good video on Youtube about using the primer. It should be misted on in light coats at about 15psi. After a couple light coats you can spray a heavier coat. The nice thing about the primer is that it dries very fast. Also recommended is to wait a minimum of 24 hours before doing any masking

Thanks. So, no need for thinning it?

I've never used thinner but here are two different sources...

Bill's Raving Rant: Review: Vallejo Surface Primer

"Then came the airbrush. To be honest, the wife was sleeping and I didn't want to fire up the compressor while she rested. Once she was up, I was able to break out the older airbrush (an Iwata revolution CR). I used the Iwata because it is a .3mm brush and the Renegade Krome is a .21mm. I had heard that the primer sprays better at the .3mm size. I did thin it about 1 part primer to 1/2 part mix of Tamiya Acrylic thinner (X20) and Golden Airbrush Medium."

Vallejo Primers

"Surface Primers can be used directly with larger airbrush nozzle systems or diluted with Vallejo Thinner Ref. 161 or AV Flow Improver Ref. 562 for smaller nozzle sizes."

I use an Aztek Tan nozzle which is listed as .3mm and have no problem shooting it straight

If you use the Vallejo Air series of paints there is no need to thin them down. These clours are ready to use.

If you use the Vallejo Air series of paints there is no need to thin them down. These clours are ready to use.

True, but for some reason, I felt that that Vallejo red dried faster with thinner. I could spray non-stop beginning in one side, and when I reached the other end, I could start again from the starting point as the new layer looked dry enough.

I see. But the way you use for painting isn't a the best one IMHO. It may cause nothing but troubles. It has to be kept in mind that each of coat layer has to be cured fully. And that can't be achieved in a few minutes only. Therefore so many guys here failed with the part of modelling. No rush is the key for getting a nice painted surface. As Geo mentioned it in the post #28.. at least 24 hours for full getting dry of a coat is required.

I see. But the way you use for painting isn't a the best one IMHO. It may cause nothing but troubles. It has to be kept in mind that each of coat layer has to be cured fully. And that can't be achieved in a few minutes only. Therefore so many guys here failed with the part of modelling. No rush is the key for getting a nice painted surface. As Geo mentioned it in the post #28.. at least 24 hours for full getting dry of a coat is required.
Agree, I will definitely do that for the clear coat.

I am so relieved and happy, I finished the Macchi!

Thank you all for all the suggestions and encouragement.

This was a very interesting experiment, cheap and bad enough so you can easily feel that you could improve by scratch build a lot.
This kit let me practice a lot with putty, paint, file, scratch build, etc. It is a ton of work, I wouldn't do another. Tons of things that went wrong, but that's life. At least the little guy looks good.

Here are some pictures and videos. Any questions, feel free to ask.

vChp72jl.jpg

p4lNjXAl.jpg

fHpsYYvl.jpg

2orAnINl.jpg

Looking really great. Well done. :thumbright:

What about the gloss varnish? Any trouble?

Turned out very nice, well done. By the by, I'm just about to start shooting Vallejo primer on my FM-1 in a Start to Finish build. I'll be mixing white primer with a bit of the grey primer to tone down the white a bit

Looking really great. Well done. :thumbright:

What about the gloss varnish? Any trouble?
Thanks Wurger. I didn't really put a big effort it, just sprayed a thinned layer before decals, and another to set decals and wash.

It has a shiny finish, but I guess I should add a couple more layers for extra-gloss but I didn't want to mess it up.

I don't like the sticky feel that gloss coats leave, I lay the varnish only to protect the paint.

Turned out very nice, well done. By the by, I'm just about to start shooting Vallejo primer on my FM-1 in a Start to Finish build. I'll be mixing white primer with a bit of the grey primer to tone down the white a bit

I will do more experiments with my black primer, I need to learn what happened before I use it again

Thanks Wurger. I didn't really put a big effort it, just sprayed a thinned layer before decals, and another to set decals and wash.

It has a shiny finish, but I guess I should add a couple more layers for extra-gloss but I didn't want to mess it up.

I don't like the sticky feel that gloss coats leave, I lay the varnish only to protect the paint.

I will do more experiments with my black primer, I need to learn what happened before I use it again

OK. THX. :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back