Snecma M53 high quality cutaway drawing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

msxyz

Senior Airman
Jul 17, 2012
Taken from a 1985 sales brochure. I've never seen such a good cutaway around so I thought I would share. The booklet is a dozen of page long but gives very little info aside from the usual bragging you'd expect from a sale brochure. I don't know how many of them were sold outside of Dassault.

The M53 is unique because it's a single spool bypass turbojet, meaning that the front LP compressor is moved by the same shaft as the HP compressor. I don't think there are other single spool bypass turbojets that reached production stage, but feel free to prove me wrong...

SnecmaM53_07.jpg

Very reliable engine, from what little I've read.
It's a very simple and effective design. One shaft and only two main bearings (plus a smaller one at front for the overhung fan). Eight stages. It can't get any simpler with that.

It's a very simple and effective design. One shaft and only two main bearings (plus a smaller one at front for the overhung fan). Eight stages. It can't get any simpler with that.
It does have its drawbacks, but the engine being modular and being resistant to disturbed flow shows that the decision to do it in the face of the disadvantages was smart. The F100 when it first came out needed kid gloves.

It does have its drawbacks, but the engine being modular and being resistant to disturbed flow shows that the decision to do it in the face of the disadvantages was smart. The F100 when it first came out needed kid gloves.
A lot of effort and simulations must have gone into the design of the shape of the compressor wheels. Early jets used many more stages for lower compression rates and they were very prone to compressor stalls (sometimes all it took for a flame out was the pilot farting in the wrong direction! :D). I'd love to take a look at a maintenance manual to see the engine innards in detail, but I've yet to see one popping up on ebay.

The Russian museum site at Monino has a lot of various manuals on line at http://restorer.ru/ - you may find one there. Site navigation is difficult to me but you may find it easier
Likewise the Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie has a range of non Polish manuals on line
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately the first link sends me to an advertising page, as if the domain is no longer maintained. I know a little bit of Russian so I can usually navigate in Russian language sites quite well. There is little material about French engines available. Also for some earlier engines of historical importance (i.e. the Atar 101) is pretty hard to find service manuals, handbooks, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back