Soldering Irons....?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
What do you use?
What do you recommend?

The pic is just is only to get your attention! 😉

51YpL2gj74L._AC_SY580_.jpg

I had a soldering iron for making stained glass lamp shades, the only thing I know about them is there are lots, and lots of different uses. It mainly depends on what you want to do and how often.

Actually the PE parts aren't for soldering but for gluing. Therefore I wouldn't recommend that way of working with the kind of parts. Unless these are of very large scale and made of quite thick plate.
Personally , for soldering copper wire and other pieces or the electronic systems I use a solder gun with a power switch 45W/75W like the one below.

Lutownica-transformatorowa-ZDZ-75-45W LT-45_75i.jpg

All I know about soldering irons, and I'm talking about this kind we used in shop during the '70s....

....is that, if you pick up the wrong end at the wrong time, you put it down a lot faster than when you picked it up
I would add to that, dont check if solder is hot, with your finger, if it is on a refractory brick. It remains molten for a long, long time. Yes I did that, a long time ago and can still feel the pain.

I've not tried soldering my PE to the plastic. Humm maybe that's why I have so much problem making it stick. Hot metal and plastic, what could go wrong?

All I know about soldering irons, and I'm talking about this kind we used in shop during the '70s....

....is that, if you pick up the wrong end at the wrong time, you put it down a lot faster than when you picked it up
Used something like that backnin the 70's. Had a cartridge in the tip that would set of a charge and get white hot in seconds. Scary.

NO. I'm NOT starting again. Maybe when they put me in the rest home. Very impressive stuff now days. My problem in the 60s & 70s was display and dusting. I built a shelf with glass shelves and used a darkroom negative brush to keep the dust off. The old rub-n-buff did a great job for NMF but could not be handled without gloves. They could tarnish just in the atmosphere. Just a reminiscence.

for PE work it really does no matter what type of tool you will use - overheating will cost you just burned tips of fingers - mostly this is matter of preference. Soldering station and iron will let you make more precision work and use wide selection of tips. If you are going to play with electronics this is different story - tool you are using become critical - in such case i'm recommending products of Ersa, Weller or Metcalf - probably last one is giving best cost/effect ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back