Sopwith Pup 1:1 scale.. This Pup will fly.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well I've written or emailed to the two leads for this project and one of them sent me to someone else. Basically, I've gotten nothing back. I will be trying another approach soon since Christmas tends to slow down a lot of folks. The shop is gearing up for some more cutting of parts. We have made a couple of jigs for forming the ribs on the wing. Pictures will follow as soon as I can get into the shop to see them. School is out for holidays until January starting Friday.

This idea has been knocking about my brain for years now; suppose you used a proven design, but had modern materials instead of the old wood and linen?
Aluminum and Mylar instead. Would not these materials increase the speed and structural integrity of, say, a Fokker tripe? I realize that the C.G. would be different and have to be adjusted for accordingly, but would it work?

Those materials would be nice but the school has elected to build it to as original construction as possible. We will get by. (Sorry... Greatful Dead Quote.) :)

This idea has been knocking about my brain for years now; suppose you used a proven design, but had modern materials instead of the old wood and linen?
Aluminum and Mylar instead. Would not these materials increase the speed and structural integrity of, say, a Fokker tripe? I realize that the C.G. would be different and have to be adjusted for accordingly, but would it work?

Think carbon fiber "tape" like R/C modelers use :)

A layer top and bottom on the spars might do wonders for strength. Synthetic covering material for things like Piper Cubs has been around for decades.

Spent last Friday going over the hardware from the print we have. Putting together a shopping list to be picked up soon. Lots of turn buckles and wire to order along with copper rivets. The Copper rivets surprised me. Apparently they were used toward outboard edges of the wings tips to fasten hardware.

One other item I learned. The prop was kept horizontal because they felt any moisture in the wood would go to one end if other than horizontal causing vibrations when it ran.

I will have pictures soon of the plans I'm working with but I am going to need help with some information. I'm trying to find out the grade of steel and aluminum Sopwith used on this plane. Some of my research shows that Sopwith used Stainless steel around the engine from 1913 to 1919. I can not get any information from either historical museum from England or New Zealand. Does anyone know where I can find out? Thanks..

Ok, photos as promised... Most of these are from the plans I'm working from with on quick one of a rig we are using as we start on the wing ribs. The other is some kind of pup but I don't think it's from Sopwith. :)

Attachments

• 20140213_110609.jpg
    20140213_110609.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20140213_110619.jpg
    20140213_110619.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20140213_110642.jpg
    20140213_110642.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140213_110751.jpg
    20140213_110751.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20140213_110820.jpg
    20140213_110820.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 767bd7ed-6574-4c8f-957a-56672d17a5f0_BN_DogsOfWar_02.jpg
    767bd7ed-6574-4c8f-957a-56672d17a5f0_BN_DogsOfWar_02.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 54
Hi Bill,
Everyone else, yes it's been ages since I've visited here..
This is the Pup operated by the RAAF museum at RAAF Williams, Pt. Cook
Melbourne Australia. I'm not sure if it was constructed in their restoration
Hanger, but I'm sure they will be a handy source of information for you.

I took this pic on Sunday (2/3) at the base during their '100 years of Military Aviation'
Air show. RAAF Williams I believe is the oldest continually operational air base in the world.
They flew the replica Bristol Boxkite constructed on base on Saturday Morning to the exact minute
Of the very first flight their 100 years ago. I was lucky enough to see it fly on the Sunday, have some pics if anyone is interested. Also have more pics of the pup I'll scale down and post here for you if you'd like a further look

Regards,
Pete

Pup01.jpg

Last edited:
I have often thought about a replica WW1 design, built using modern materials and techniques. You are living my dream. Even if you are using authentic materials. Still very cool!

I have often thought about a replica WW1 design, built using modern materials and techniques. You are living my dream. Even if you are using authentic materials. Still very cool!

I've seen a Tiger Moth covered in ceconite, with plastic fairings and it just didn't look or feel right. I can't quite put my finger on what was wrong with it. It was O.K. from a distance, but once you got up close, it just wasn't the same. I think a replica WW1 design would be much the same. Besides, the pre and post flight rituals are part of the appeal of the aircraft!

Hi Bill,
Everyone else, yes it's been ages since I've visited here..
This is the Pup operated by the RAAF museum at RAAF Williams, Pt. Cook
Melbourne Australia. I'm not sure if it was constructed in their restoration
Hanger, but I'm sure they will be a handy source of information for you.

I took this pic on Sunday (2/3) at the base during their '100 years of Military Aviation'
Air show. RAAF Williams I believe is the oldest continually operational air base in the world.
They flew the replica Bristol Boxkite constructed on base on Saturday Morning to the exact minute
Of the very first flight their 100 years ago. I was lucky enough to see it fly on the Sunday, have some pics if anyone is interested. Also have more pics of the pup I'll scale down and post here for you if you'd like a further look

Regards,
Pete

View attachment 255867

Yes, that would be great. I'm always looking for sources of information. :)

Nice to see your up and running, something like this must be very time consuming.

Its actually very time consuming. Spent 6 hours today working on the pup. Several wing ribs have been cut and shaped, glued and tacked. It has been some time since someone had built them so I inspected them to ensure they were to spec. Some were, others weren't. I'll get more pictures together as I'm able. :)

Looky looky what I found. A Sopwith Pup's owners manual. Project leader wanted to know where the datum was and approximate position of CG (Center of Gravity). Came across this. Its open to the public so I was able to copy it down and here is the link so you guys can see it. :)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=SAzZK9hVzb4a7CGqJT5lcQ&bvm=bv.62922401,d.b2I

Thanks for the pictures guys. I almost got some photos taken today. We have 34 wing ribs to make... slowly. Some are already built. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back