Sopwith Pup 1:1 scale.. This Pup will fly.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Night Fighter Nut

Master Sergeant
Nov 3, 2009
Plano Texas
Greetings all, I have now become part of a project to build a WW1 Sopwith Pup complete with guns. For now I am doing research and could use some help from the forum. Our group is doing this build from scratch. If anyone has any photos or information on construction techniques used to make these aircraft. Better yet, if anyone has any views of the tail section before covering that would be great. The plans we have are rudimentary but accurate. We will fabricate all the parts for the fuselage ourselves. Thanks for any help and pictures will be forth coming as I research this and the build commences.

Nice project. Get in touch with the Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden Aerodrome, near Bedford, UK. They have an airworthy Pup, and could possibly help with questions.

Thanks guys. :)

Terry, I found a website and will try to make contact with someone there... Thanks

Last edited:
A little back ground information. This particular model of the Sopwith Pup will be in commemoration of Captain S. H. Pratt, from the Number 46 Squadron. Captain Pratt's Pup was notorious for its unique markings of Skull and Crossbones on its wheel covers.

With a little research, here are some photo examples of the tail section. These were from a blog concerning some differences about kits versus original construction methods. The last one had measurements that are just what we were looking for.

Attachments

• CIMG2103.jpg
    CIMG2103.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 201
  • CIMG2105.jpg
    CIMG2105.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 214
  • CIMG2106.jpg
    CIMG2106.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 214
  • CIMG2112.jpg
    CIMG2112.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 205
  • fuselage-2.jpg
    fuselage-2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 203
So Bill are ya'll thinking of an original powerplant?Interesting project how many are involved and what's your timeframe? hell Texas is only a hop skip and a jump :lol:

Bill, you might want to contact these guys too. The Vintage Aviator have built two reproduction flying Pups in the last few years. The firm is the most prolific builders of Great War aircraft reproductions at the moment, with at least three Albatros D Vs, as many S.E.5as, a Camel, Triplane, two B.E.2s and 2 F.E.2bs to name a few. There's also a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter under construction.

Sopwith Pup | The Vintage Aviator

Good luck with your project.

Thanks guys, I will contact them as soon as I can. I believe we already have an engine. I saw it in the bay and it has been tested. Will try to get a picture of it.

Just wondering what size box a 1:1 scale 'Pup' comes in !!

Generally somewhat smaller than a buried Spitfire crate ?

This sound a great build Bill, keep us updated (more than I do on mine !) and post loads of pics as well. Should see if any of our fantastic model builders here can do a model of the 'Pup in the correct color scheme ?

Good contact there Bill. If you were in the UK, you'd be able to visit Old Warden and talk to the guys, who are normally very helpful. And I've got visions of a huge truck towing a massive box of parts ..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back