B-24 Liberator Diorama - 1/48th Scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
B-24H-10-FO, "Male Call", 453rd Bomb Group (H), Old Buckenham, Norfolk, UK, spring 1944.

This project will take around six months to complete, possibly less, depending on available time between other projects and my personal health ( I have cataract removal surgery scheduled for both eyes, the first next week on 11th December. Vision at present will not allow close-detail work, so I hope the ops are successful !! ).
Once completed, I intend to donate this fairly large diorama , measuring 2 x 2 feet (61 x 61 cms ), to the 453rd BG Museum at Old Buckenham airfield, which is just a short drive away from where my "Tin Tent" is located in Norfolk.

The subject aircraft is the B-24 flown by Hollywood star James Stewart, when he moved from Tibbenham to Old Buck in March 1944, as Operations Officer for the 453rd BG.
The model will be finished as it looked in spring 1944, with the "smaller" mission tally on the nose ("Male Call" eventually completed 130 missions), and the "G+" tail code, with open waist gun positions. The aircraft tail code was apparently changed to "G-" in late May 1944, and it seems that the waist windows were later enclosed with the framed type of glazing.
As with many B-24s from this period, the ball turret was removed, and this conversion will be carried out on the model.

The diorama will show the aircraft on a section of a "loop" dispersal hard stand, with an articulated tanker re-fuelling, a tractor and ammunition trailer delivering .50 cal ammo, a small trailer-type oil tanker off to one side, and ground crew on a servicing gantry completing a spark plug change on one of the port engines. Other "bits and pieces" in the way of oil drums, crates etc, will also be included.
The kit to be used is the 1976 vintage Monogram B-24J, which I picked up relatively cheap from one of the Duxford air shows a few years back, and some modifications will be needed to portray the B-24H-10-FO version. Some extra detailing and scratch-building will be added, which will be described and illustrated during the course of the build, and conversion and detail and scratch-building will be needed for the vehicles, figures, display base and ground equipment.
Unfortunately, the Koster kit to correct the front and rear gun turrets is no longer available, so I'll have to live with the seams on the Monogram turrets.
If anyone has the Koster kit and wants to part with it, or knows of one for sale, please let me know !

As mentioned, I am unable to cope with fine detail work at the moment and, as the aircraft model itself is large (27.5 inch / 69.85 cms wing span), space on the work bench, and temporary storage, means that construction will be carried out later in the build. Meanwhile, I intend to start work on the other elements of the diorama, particularly the fuel tanker. This model is itself quite large, at around 12 inches (30.5 cms) long and, as it is a key element in the display, I need to get it right or I may have to re-think the layout of the diorama !
The fuel tanker will be made from a combination of two different kits, converted and with some scratch-building as required, and this will be described in the next post.
Meanwhile, the pics below show "Male Call" with James Stewart, and later in its life with the large mission tally (pics thought to be from American Air Museum in Britain, found on the "net"), the 453rd BG Museum building at Old Buckenham, the Monogram kit box and some of the other kits to be used, with the final pic being a sketch plan to 1/144th scale (1/3rd the size of the diorama) used for planning and orientation.

Back soon with more info.

B-24 Male Call Jimmy Stewart.jpg
B-24 Male Call.jpg
OLd Buck Museum.jpg
B-24 Diorama 005.JPG
B-24 Diorama 002.JPG
B-24 Diorama 003.JPG
B-24 Diorama 004.JPG
Revell ground equip.jpg
B-24 Diorama 029.JPG
g

The re-fuelling truck.

Re-fuelling on WW2 USAAF bomber bases in the UK was carried out by articulated (semi-trailer) tankers, normally towed by either the Autocar tractor unit, or the Diamond T / REO 6x6 heavy tractor unit. (two of the latter have been restored for "set dressing" for the forthcoming Speilberg/Hanks "Masters of the Air" mini-series).
There were a number of types of tank trailer, both single and twin axle, which were similar in overall appearance, but had differences in the layout of the hoses, pump engines etc

A few years back, a forum member (not seen for some time, and I'm ashamed to admit I've forgotten his name) gave me a 1956 vintage Revell1/48th scale kit of the White - Fruehauf gas truck, which I thought I could probably modify to represent a typical tanker trailer towed by the Autocar tractor.
(This kit has recently been re-issued by Atlantis Models, with different decals, including alternative choice US Army Air Forces markings, and glazing for the cab .).
Producing a convincing USAAF tanker trailer from this kit will be relatively straightforward, if, perhaps, not totally accurate, but unfortunately, on closer inspection of the kit's tractor unit chassis/cab layout and dimensions, I realised that scratch-building the Autocar cab would be a mammoth task, and would probably not be very authentic or convincing.
I therefore considered using one of the resin kits of the Diamond T, available from Wespe Models, and converting this as required. But during further research I discovered a rather blurred wartime photo, and also a present-day video clip, both showing a GMC 6 x 6 tractor unit towing fuel tanker trailers, both single and twin axle.
It therefore made more economic sense to use the Tamiya 6 x 6 Airfield Re-Fueller kit, modified into a tractor unit, as not only could the main chassis and cab be used, but some of the fittings and the decals could also be employed in the conversion of the Revell tanker trailer, making life a lot easier and also reducing the construction time - problem solved.
The conversion / cross-kitting will involve some modification and scratch-building on the Revell tanker trailer, and some scratch-building and combination of Revell parts on the Tamiya truck, which will be described and illustrated in the next post.

The pics below show some of the variations in tanker trailers, along with the Diamond T / REO 6 x 6 and Autocar tractor units ( original source unknown, uncredited, found on the "net"), and one of the Wespe Models Diamond T kits considered but rejected.

Fuel tanker REO 2.jpg
Fuel truck 3.jpg
Fuel truck autocar 2.jpg
Fuel truck Autocar.jpg
Fuel truck REO.jpg
Diamond T Wespe kit.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Terry, this is going to be one mammoth build and well worth watching. Good luck with the cataracts, luckily they are an easy fix and you wont know yourself after. :thumbright: :cool:

Thanks, Wojtek and Vic.

This is a project I've had in mind for some time, along with a similar Lancaster diorama. However, the sheer size of the base would cause problems displaying this at home ( I can maybe, just about, find a suitable corner for the Lanc diorama, but not both !), so I've put it off until now.
Karl and I visited the 453rd BG Museum earlier this year, and I noted that there may be space for a "stand alone" display on a separate table in the Nissen hut housing the Museum's collections. I also heard that the Museum is looking for models for display, so I'll be offering to donate the finished diorama. (more of the Museum displays can be found in my "Travels of Tel's Tin Tent" thread).

The cataract thing has been getting progressively worse over the past 12 months, with a deep one in the left eye, and one increasing in the right eye, although that one isn't too bad yet. The left eye has really degraded quickly over the last couple of months though, and even wearing the glasses prescribed in mid June now only helps marginally.
I really hope the first op is successful, as, having always had excellent vison at all ranges, it's frustrating and awkward with the blurring and focus problems being experienced at the moment.

Back soon with more on the fuel tanker model ...............

Cataract surgery has a very high rate of success Terry and good vision recovery is normally within a couple of weeks though healing takes longer. I had my right eye done several years back and earlier this year it developed posterior capsular opacification i.e. which is the lens capsule becomes hazy but again this is easy fixed with laser treatment. Now I'm having to think about the left eye as this is starting to develop the cloudy vision. So anyway T, again good luck and you'll be "One Eyed Jacks" for a day. I loved that movie. :thumbright: :cool:

Thanks Vic, I'm looking forward to having restored vision, albeit with a little trepidation regarding the op itself.

The re-fuelling truck conversion - Part 1.

First job was to measure the tanker section of the old Revell kit, and the chassis of the Tamiya kit, allowing for the approximate "overlap" of the two sections, in order to ensure that the completed model will fit into the available space on the display base, without appearing to be too "compressed" or un-realistic against the aircraft.
The tank trailer measures 8 inches (20.3 cms) overall and, when combined with the tractor unit, the overall length will be approximately 11 to 12 inches (27.9 to 30.5 cms), depending on the posed angle of the tractor in relation to the trailer.
These dimensions were checked on the scale drawing, and also by laying out the kit parts on the blank base board alongside the fuselage and wing sections of the Monogram B-24 kit, and the available space is acceptable.

The conversion of the Tamiya re-fueller into a tractor unit should be relatively straightforward, and look convincing enough, although probably with a touch of "modellistic licence" thrown in, but the tank trailer will be more "representative", being a combination of design features from the various trailer styles, in order to produce a convincing looking tanker.
All of the Revell kit parts can be used, some being re-located, but a fair amount of modification is required to present the recognisable shape, especially at the rear, where the hose reels, valves and pump equipment are housed.
Altering the shape of the lower section side skirts helps give a more recognisable overall profile, and removing the rear of the tank section to be replaced with the distinctive sloped rear wall with the bi-fold doors on the equipment locker should help to make the model look more convincing.

Pics below show the main kit parts, the areas on the sides to be modified, and the same areas after modification.

B-24 Diorama 007.JPG
B-24 Diorama 006.JPG
B-24 Diorama 017.JPG
B-24 Diorama 019.JPG
B-24 Diorama 021.JPG
B-24 Diorama 022.JPG

The re-fuelling truck conversion - Part 2.

Next step is to create the sloped rear wall and the hose locker. This entailed removing the entire oval rear section from the top half of the tank unit, and cutting away an area on the lower section in order to make room to scratch-build the locker.

The first three pics below (original source unknown, found on the "net") show semi-derelict tank trailers, with the pump/hose locker open, the bi-fold doors stored inside, and part of the pipework and valve assembly, along with the pump engine and the hose reels on each side.
The Tamiya kit provides two hose reels and hoses, which can be used, as well as the pump and piping / valve details. Some of these parts, although different in style, can be adapted for use in the conversion, although the main "donkey" engine, seen in the centre, and the locker, doors, rear wall and some other fittings will need to be scratch-built.
The remaining pics show the conversion work to date, and I hope to post a further up-date sometime over the weekend.

Fuel truck 1.jpg
Fuel truck 2.jpg
Fuel tanker hose reels.jpg
B-24 Diorama 012.JPG
B-24 Diorama 016.JPG
B-24 Diorama 023.JPG
B-24 Diorama 024.JPG
B-24 Diorama 026.JPG
B-24 Diorama 028.JPG

A small diversion from the work on the diorama, with aerial views of Old Buckenham airfield as it looked during WW2, and as it is today, with some info and shots of the memorial located outside the Museum.

Old Buckenham was under the command of the 2nd Combat Wing, 2nd Air Division, 8th USAAF, and was home to the 453rd Bombardment Group (Heavy), comprised of the 732nd, 733rd, 734th and 735th Bombardment Squadrons.
The Group identifier marking was a letter "J" on a disc, black letter on white background on camouflaged aircraft, white letter on black background on NMF aircraft, displayed on the upper surface of the starboard wing, and originally on the outer surfaces of the vertical fins. The fin markings were changed in spring 1944 to black outer surfaces with a white diagonal bar, with the aircraft individual code letter, in black, within the white bar.
B-24H-10-FO serial number 4-252154, "Male Call", was with the 734th Bombardment Squadron, which had the Squadron code "E8", the aircraft from this Squadron having prop bosses in red.

Today, most of the airfield area has returned to agriculture, although an aero club and flying school, together with some private owners, operate from the western section of the main east-west runway, with hangars and a clubhouse / restaurant, the memorial and Museum, on the southern edge of the airfield. The restaurant/cafe was originally named "Jimmy's", in honour of James Stewart, but following relatively recent change of management, it is now known as "The Liberator Restaurant", and provides great food at reasonable prices, as well as having a small bar.
Popular with visiting light GA pilots, Old Buckenham also hosts an excellent, two-day annual air show, on the last weekend of July, with a very relaxed and non-crowded atmosphere, great views (looking north, i.e. not into the sun) across the airfield, and a varied selection of participants, including plenty of "warbird" action, and ticket prices are exceptionally reasonable. Camping is also available over the air show weekend, with space available from Friday to Monday
Karl and I have attended the air show for the last couple of years, and the organisation, in the air, on the ground and with traffic management etc has been second to none. Some pics from the air shows are also included here.

Old Buck ww2.jpg
Old Buck aerial today.jpg
OB diorama thread.jpg
OB diorama thread 2.jpg
OB 82.jpg
OB 88.jpg
OlB 10.jpg
OB 135.jpg
OlB 15.jpg
OlB 118.jpg

The re-fuelling truck - Part 3.

Thanks Grant. Although I'd like to be able to keep the finished diorama, I have nowhere to put it, hence my idea of donating it to the 453rd BG Museum. At least that way many more people will get to see it and, with luck, it'll be educational and perhaps appreciated.

Anyway, I've been busy on a marathon session at the bench overnight, when it's quiet and no interruptions - fortunately I have a family-sized can of Midnight Oil !!!
More cutting, measuring, checking references, adjustments, and a couple of errors (aka cockups !), but I've finally got the main part of the pumphouse, in the rear of the tanker trailer, scratch-built.
This was done using plastic card, "Evergreen" rectangular tube, angle strip, channel and rod, and a couple of PE instrument bezels from a model car accessories sheet. The cylinder from the Tamiya re-fueller kit was cut down to reduce its height, and installed on a shelf against the rear bulkhead of the pumphouse.
Next step is to make the plumbing, valves and the fuel flow meters and fit these in place, and also adapt and fit the two hose reels from the Tamiya kit.
The rear wall / door frame can't be done just yet, as I'm waiting for a delivery of thicker gauge plastic sheet, and other bits and pieces, but as I'll be in hospital for half a day on Monday to have a cataract removed and a new lens implant, I probably won't be able to do much in the way of detail work for a couple or more days anyway.
I might be able to get the plumbing done later today, and I'll post pics if I can.

Pics below show the progress so far.

B-24 Diorama 030.JPG
B-24 Diorama 031.JPG
B-24 Diorama 032.JPG
B-24 Diorama 036.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks chaps.
Don't think I'll get much more done today, as my hands and wrists are a bit too stiff to cope with the next stage of fiddly bits but, given I'm OK after the eye op tomorrow, I hope to get this section completed within the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back