B-24 Liberator Diorama - 1/48th Scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps.

I'm hoping to get this stage completed later today, and then join the tank halves. First, though, I need to decide on which way to do the hoses.
Tamiya provide vinyl tube and copper wire (to stiffen the tube for posing as required), the latter to be threaded into the tube.
I'm not sure, until I try it, if this will work the way I want it to, when placing the tanker on the diorama base, so I might use the "hose" material from the Airfix Ground Crew kit, or maybe electrical wire.
I'll post pics of the options later, once I've sorted the hose reels etc.

Arrrr, you be doin' grand matey!

Terry, though I'm very busy over the next month or so, I can offer to make some masks for you for the E8 code since I assume painting will be down the road a bit. I would need a good profile or photo.

Thanks Andy, that could be very useful, as I can't find USAAF letters / numbers decals in the required sizes and colours, they're all OOP.
I'll need the "E8," to be painted in Neutral Gray, a "J", to be painted black on a white disc, and the "G+" for the fins. Also, if possible, a mask for a block of four small swastika "kill" markings, seen on the nose, near the Navigators window, port side.
I can easily mask for the white disc, and I'll find the required dimensions and styles etc for the rest, and send them to you after the Christmas break.
Haven't seen a profile of "Male Call", but I can send a good profile of a typical markings layout, a rather grainy shot of the complete aircraft, and some artwork pics etc.
And, being cheeky, if you could do some masks for extra lettering on the fuel tanker, for example "No Smoking", and "Gasoline", to add to those in the Tamiya kit, that would be marvellous !

As my hands and wrists are a tad too stiff to tackle the rather fiddly work on the hose reels at the moment, I'm having a short break, and have been viewing one of the videos from Kermit Weeks, with a tour around the inside of his B-24, which is in original, un-restored condition.
Although this particular airframe, like the RAFM Hendon example, is ex-RAF and then Indian Air Force, with a few detail differences compared to a USAAF "H" model, the overall interior fittings, colours etc are more or less the same, and differences can easily be identified.
The interior tour, in particular, is extremely useful, as it gives better views of some areas that can be difficult to cover with just "stills" photos, as seen in the various books and other references I have and, although I don't intend to add interior detail where it will never be seen, the video will be of enormous help when I get down to doing the work.
Kermit has a number of "Walkaround/through" videos on his YouTube channel, and recommended for viewing.

I might get a bit more work done later tonight, otherwise it'll be sometime tomorrow.
Thanks to all for looking in and the kind comments ..................

Sounds good Terry Airframes Airframes . The large letters should not be a problem but I would be cautious about expecting decent masks for smaller things like the swastikas and the fuel tanker labels. My film cutter is not industrial quality and shows its shortcomings when trying to make small masks with corners and close parallel faces. The "104" on Steph's P-40F shown below was done with a mask I made for him. The numbers are about 5mm tall and definitely were at the lower limit of my machine's capability.

dscn6400-2-jpg.jpg

The issue is that the cutter has a sharp scalpel blade that is set on a swivel. When the blade is forced to make tight turns in a very small space, the vinyl material tends to bind and pull away from the backing while the cutter continues to make the remaining cuts. This results in an unusable mess.

I will gladly try for you but just want to make sure that you understand what can and can not be achieved.

Thanks Andy, and no problem. I thought that might be the case concerning the smaller lettering, so I'll just implement Plan B, section 32A.
That is, cobble together the swastikas from yellow stripe decals, or hand-paint them, and make up the wording from some small white letter decals I have. The typeface won't be accurate, nor the dimensions but ,being fairly small, it shouldn't be too noticeable.
Same for the "G+" individual code letters on the fins - I have some 1/32nd scale RAF black letters that may do the trick, again not quite the right style, and maybe a tad short and narrow, but passable I think.
The annoying thing is, I know I have the required white, and black, USAAF lettering in the correct style and sizes, but they're not in my decals files, and so far a search has come up blank !
The "E8" and "J" codes should be around 20mm to maybe 24mm tall, but I'll check this at the time and let you know.

I haven't gone any further with the hose reels yet, but the initial painting of the pumphouse and pump equipment has been done, with the detail painting still to do. I hope to get the reels and the remainder of the painting done tomorrow, and I'll post pics them.

I'd need to check properly, but the white "No Smoking" would be around 2 to 2.5mm tall, and "Gasoline" around 3.5 to 4 mm tall, which I'm guessing your plotter/cutter would really struggle with.

I'd need to check properly, but the white "No Smoking" would be around 2 to 2.5mm tall, and "Gasoline" around 3.5 to 4 mm tall, which I'm guessing your plotter/cutter would really struggle with.
Yep, that would be a non-starter. I masked and painted this script for our restored Mosquito with the custom Spartan engine instrument panel. The letters are 4mm tall and, as you can see, there are obvious variations in the stroke thicknesses.

20230215_150006.jpg

2mm "won't cut it" if we wish to continue our puns today.

Thanks Hugh.

The Fuel Tanker, continued ...............

The pumphouse area is now more or less complete, although a few details will be added once the rear wall is in place, and the unit ready to be placed on the display base. Some of the detail painting is a bit rough, due to my stiff hands, but with the rear walls in place and the open doors, it should pass inspection at normal viewing distances and angles once on the display base.

The hose reels and hose materials from the Tamiya kit have been used, with scratch-built support brackets and axles, although the Tamiya method of making up the hoses is, I feel, a little over complicated. Copper wire has to be fed into the vinyl tube, presumably to allow the hose to be posed as required, and prevent the vinyl tubing from collapsing - ordinary sheathed electrical wire would have done the job just as well, and much easier, as threading the copper wire was awkward and time consuming, although the method does allow for the provided fuel filler nozzles to be fitted into the end of the hoses.
As shown in the photos, the left hand reel has the Tamiya hose and nozzle in place, and the nozzle will be painted and set inside the pumphouse once the rear wall sections are in place.
As the hose on the right hand reel will be run-out to the aircraft, this will be attached when the unit is ready to be placed in the diorama, and I'll probably use either sheathed thin wire of a suitable gauge, or perhaps the hose from the Airfix Ground Crew kit.
The tank halves were then joined and, due to some slight warping on the left side of the upper section, CA and a fair amount of pressure was needed to close the joint. The resulting "overflow" of CA has yet to be cleaned-up.

Next step is to make and fit the sections of the rear wall, and the bi-fold doors, and I hope to get this done over the next couple of days.

B-24 Diorama 054.JPG
B-24 Diorama 057.JPG
B-24 Diorama 058.JPG
B-24 Diorama 062.JPG
B-24 Diorama 064.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back