SOW Snippet...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very impressive. Graphics are amazing. Actually looks like real flight.

But where is the game!? We wait...and we wait...

Very impressive. Graphics are amazing. Actually looks like real flight.

I keep looking at the detailed shadows on the cockpit...Possibly SoW: Korea will have some amazing
Bare Metal effects on the Sabres...

wheelsup_cavu said:
And we wait some more.
I am just hoping it was worth the wait.

I hope the Dynamic Campaign is changed, more detailed briefings and photos of the target. Anyway, we still wait...

-Arlo

Yes, I have been also noticing that Il-2s campaign generator hasn't changed much over the years.

Though I do like that the bail out sequence has been modified and new opening hangar doors. Though I think that they have changed the DGen, after all, this is the successor to Il-2. :)

-Arlo

I don't remember if there is a dynamic campaign generator for SOW.
I think Oleg said it was going to be scripted campaigns.

Starshoy developed DGen as an addon for IL-2 and it got added to the official product later.
He hasn't updated it since the Pacific Fighters version came out.
I personally doubt if he was ever asked officially.
He fell off the radar 2 or 3 years ago.

:: RRG STUDIOS ::

Wheels

Latest I've heard for SOW is October 2010.

Funny thing, I've gone through two computers and am now on my third since SOW was supposed to come out in the Winter of 2006. At this point, I might end up with enough power to run my own simulator!

I can stand the wait, but what I can't stand is what the system requirements are. Possibly it'll require NASA's supercomputers.

Hopefully there will be a free trial version just before the game is released just like Il-2 in the early 2000s.

-Arlo

I have somewhat mixed feelings as I wait for SOW BOB. As opposed to the Il2 series, which has been around for ever, still looks really good on mid-range machines, and has been patched, revised, and modded so much that you can simulate virtually any aerial war from the mid-1930's to Korea, SOW BOB will be limited (initially at least) to a very small theatre and a very small plane set.

I agree with others who have said this game will succeed or fail, not on its graphics, flight models, or accuracy (which I expect will be excellent), but on its ability to put players into a personally engaging dynamic campaign that really makes them want to spend six hours each day in front of a computer taking Hurricanes up against Do-17s over and over and over again (or if you play the Germans, piloting that Do-17 over England over and over and over again). The absence of this element, frankly, was the only failing of Il2, which from the beginning presented the player with a dry, soulless introduction, clunky music, repetitive missions, and poor presentation that did very little to make one really care about your avatar in the game...when you earned a promotion or medal you just got a dry message on a mission status screen. When you died you just got ..."player killed". The fact that Il-2 was so much better than any possible competitor and started with a huge series of theatres involving German, Soviet, Finnish, Italian, Hungarian, and Romanian airplanes from the beginning (not to mention a good set of lend-lease US and British types) sort of hid this failing. Here's hoping we get a personalized game character with a personal history we care about, dynamic campaign structures, exciting setup screens, cinematic music, and a powerful personal narrative that will develop as the game goes along.

The Battle of Britain is the ideal campaign in which to do this: almost mythic for western Europeans and Americans; the plucky RAF against the mighty Luftwaffe, Mrs Miniver with her tea towels watching contrails in the sky, the sweet green hills of England, Churchill's rhetoric, Goering's fuming, London in flames, and all the rest. Here's hoping Oleg and Co put as much effort into constructing a game as they obviosuly do when developing a simulation. If they do, I might upgrade my computer. Otherwise, I'll probably stick with Il-2 and its hundreds of planes, maps, and wars to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back