Spinners

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spicmart

Staff Sergeant
May 11, 2008
Is there any difference in drag between pointed (allies, japanese) ones and blunt ones (germans).

The Me 109 (from F up) had a very large spinner in diameter. So I guess that a pointed spinner would have been too long.
They eventually made it blunt.
As for the Fw 190, its spinner was comparable to the ones of allied aircraft, yet it is more blunt.
Why is that?

Last edited:
Most of the Bf109,s had engine mounted cannons, there's no way not to have a blunt spinner when it has to accomindate a cannon muzzle.

About the only allied aircraft with a really pointed spinner I can think of is the P-40 , maybe P-38's, though i'm sure someone else can think of others.

I think it was just some designers sense of style.

Another factor would be method of manufacture.
Press punched, or spun on a lathe over a wood mold.
I have a spinner used as a lamp shade mounted to a small AC cylinder, and I believe it was spun.

One would assume that the pointed spinners if one can call them so are less draggy.
But I don't know too much about aerodynamics.

Last edited:
Not just cannon consideration, I'm sure wind tunnel tests provided valuable data, as shown here with this prototype 'F' series.
109WT_zpsed3f999b.gif

That's a Bf 109 E-3 in the wind tunnel. Stammkennzeichen WL IGKS (previously D IGKS). Notice also the early position of the swastika across the rudder hinge line.

Here's an image of the same aircraft at the same establishment showing one of the several "standard" Emil spinners.

Bf-109E3-WL-IGKS.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back