Spitfire Armor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lightning Guy

Master Sergeant
Apr 29, 2004
I was recently looking at a diagram of the armor plating used on the Spitifre. It appears that the ammo boxes for the .303 machine guns were armored but no protection was given to the 20mm cannons or there ammo. Does anyone know if this is correct or why it was?

If it is true, I imagine it was because there was no room. 20mm cannons take up a lot of space, as do their ammo.

Perhaps, but I would think an explosion among the 20mm ammo would be a much greater threat. And would the added protection around the .303 ammo justify the added weight?

I don't know if the added protection was worth it but on the A-Wing Spitfires, all the ammo and gun would be protected so it's good then. Maybe a waste on the B and C Wing Spitfires. I was wondering, did this diagram mention anything about the E-Wings? Were the .50cals armoured?

None of my cutaways or references mention armoured ammo boxes. Are you sure you're not misidentifying the metal boxes as armour?

It's a cutaway titled "Armor Protection." The expected areas are highlighted (windscreen, seat back, etc.) but so are the ammo boxes for the .303 mgs.

No. It's a Mk.Vb. Is it just a bogus chart?

yes that is correct, the only peice of armour plating on the entire lanc that was fitted as standard was behind the headrest of the pilot...............

I've got a chart that suggests the Lanc had a set of armored doors immediately behind the wireless operator's station.

It seems this chart is a failure. Surely, it would state all the wing configurations. I've never heard of armoured ammo bins on the Spitfire. They didn't like extra weight after-all.

The only armour on the Hurricane was retro-fitted by 1st Sqn. in France. :rolleyes:

That's kind of what I was thinking. Not only was it added weight, but it's added weight towards the end of the wings and that's not going to help maneuverability one bit. And I just don't see how protecting some .303 ammo justifies that weight.

plan_D said:
It seems this chart is a failure. Surely, it would state all the wing configurations. I've never heard of armoured ammo bins on the Spitfire. They didn't like extra weight after-all.
The chart is wrong
They weren't armoured, they didn't need to be.
A hit on the ammo boxs might have set off a couple of rounds, but the damage caused by this wouldn't have been worth the extra weight

The only armour on the Hurricane was retro-fitted by 1st Sqn. in France. :rolleyes:
By the Battle of Britain all Hurricanes and Spitfires had been fitted with armour behind the pilots seat by Dowdings instructions.

Not to mention the bulletproof windscreens.

"If Chicago gangsters can have bulletproof glass in their cars, my pilots can bloody have it in front of them when they go into battle!"

- Air Chief Marshal Hugh Dowding 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back