Spitfire exhaust stacks (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Does anyone know what her performance would be with this later engine. I should be faster then the mk 9 because she will have less of the strengthening and therefore less weight.

Doesn't this later engine effectively make her a mk IX???

No one will know the performance of her with this engine, she's limited to particular speeds, and it's partly because she has a larger engine and little more strengthening that she's limited, and she is still very much a Mk.IIa, the rest of the airframe is original.......

the lancaster kicks *** said:
No one will know the performance of her with this engine, she's limited to particular speeds, and it's partly because she has a larger engine and little more strengthening that she's limited, and she is still very much a Mk.IIa, the rest of the airframe is original.......

I am surprised that they didn't put the fish tail exhausts on anyway.

the BBMF wont change something small on an aircraft like that, most other places they would but not the engines, they're the most important parts of the aircraft they're only interested in keeping the aircraft flying as long as possible, so they don't want to change too much on the engines and obviously decided to keep the original exausts for that engine........

Wurger said:
Thanks mate.Looking at these I'm not convince of its being MkII.It looks as two in one.Maybe, sombody of mates knows more on the Spit.I have to check it.

to next contact.

I'm afraid it is a MkII folk's. Look just under the exhaust and you'll see a little bump for the Oil Cooler for the Merlin XII. This was only fitted on the MkII with the original Merlin XII engine ;)

you don't have to see that bumb to see it's a Mk.IIa, i know a fair bit about british warbirds and i know the BBMF best of all, that's their Mk.IIa i can assure you :lol:

Re the Spitfire MkII pics. I have sat in this aircraft and helped to move it around when I made an AV show back in 1983. It is a genuine MkIIA, operated by the R.A.F. Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at Conningsby, U.K. It actually fought in the Battle, and still has the patches covering 3 bullet holesto prove it! The reason for the 'ejector' exhausts is quite simple; at the time, the only available Merlin engines were later types, I believe the Merlin 66. When this A/C was restored to flying condition, the preservation movement was not as big or strong as it is today; at one time, this A/C flew with a 4 blade prop, made in Germany! There is now (Aug 08) a genuine 100% accurate MkIa flying in Britain, at one time flown by the famous 'ace' 'Ginger' Lacey, whom I met many yearsago a few times. Boy could he despatch some beers! Sadly he is no longer with us. Hope this of interest. Cheers, Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back