Spitfire IXc Cockpit in Progress

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 2, 2018
The first subassemmbly of my Spitfire IXc. A little more painting to do still.

Wondering if it would be better to assemble first, spray with varnish and then do the shades, clean-up and highlights OR to spray each set separately, shade, clean-up, highlight and then assemble.

Seems redundant to highlight parts that wouldn't be as visible though, but wondering what everyone out there think.

Cheers,

Apoc

Attachments

• 20180304_104020.jpg
    20180304_104020.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 154
Not sure what you mean by "varnish" but it may not affect my answer anyway. I will assume you mean a gloss coat then a dark wash.

The way I would do a Spit cockpit is assemble as many of the parts together that would still allow spray painting and access with a detail brush. Paint the interior colour then spray a gloss coat. Then rather than apply a wash over everything I would apply a wash very sparingly putting a tiny bit on a brush and allowing the wash to wick along and around the details so that minimal or no wiping is necessary. Once dry spray a matte coat then drybrush highlghts.

I have over my last several builds steered away from washes in the pit but have favoured painting everything black first followed by a thin application of the interior colour sprayed from top down so that shadows remain darker. I think this gives a more realistic effect than washes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back