Spitfire Mk.I Flight Controls

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Finn-R

Airman
Nov 10, 2013
Espergaerde, Denmark
I've bought a spitfire Mk.IXc (balsa wood) r/c. 1:7 scale.
After some thoughts, I've decided to make it into a Mk.Ia and make it a display model rather than fly with it.
In this scale there should be plenty of room to nurse all the fancy details.
I'm looking for drawings showing the Flight Control Wires. Aileron, Rudder, Elevator, plus the Ridder and Elevator Trim.
Thank you in advance

To be honest it would be easier to make the Spitfire Mk.Ia from scratch. There are differences between these Mk.IXc and the Mk.Ia not only in these details you mantioned above but also the wing/fuselage structures , cockpit layout and cockpit conopy, armament and what is more important the entire nose shape becasuse of different RR engines mounted. Also the undercarriage would need to be corrected.

To be honest it would be easier to make the Spitfire Mk.Ia from scratch. There are differences between these Mk.IXc and the Mk.Ia not only in these details you mantioned above but also the wing/fuselage structures , cockpit layout and cockpit conopy, armament and what is more important the entire nose shape becasuse of different RR engines mounted. Also the undercarriage would need to be corrected.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm aware of the differences and I realize that I have a lot of work ahead of me ;)
I'm not sure what the difference is in the fuselage structure except the rudder was bigger on the Mk.IX and the wings shouldn't be taht much of a problem. See, the blisters for the 20m/m's are plastic thingies that I'm supposed to glue on and I will just leave them out (will have to figure out the position of the two .303's though, but that should be doable. The nose I will have to recreate since that it plastic too, and since it's aradio controlled beast I will have to make the engine and the engine beares from scratch. I will have to find out the difference in the undercarriage (any tips?)
I have to deadline for the finish but I'm looking forward to get started, that's for sure...

As Wurger pointed out, it really would be easier to either make it a static MkIX, or get a Mk1 kit.
The rudder was the same as the Mk1 on earlier MkIX's, changing to the 'pointed', broader chord rudder in later production batches, but that's the least of the complications.
You would need to change the radiator on the starboard wing, remove the radiator from the port wing and make an oil cooler, remove the cannon mounts, hatches and blisters, and make new hatches for all eight machine guns, and alter the ailerons. From the front firewall forwards is totally different on the Mk1, being shorter, having a different upper cowling and a different carb air intake, plus the three blade prop with a different shaped spinner, and totally different exhaust stubs.
The windscreen was different on the Mk1, as was the canopy and, of course, there were differences inside the cockpit, plus many small, external details differences.

Here you are drawings for the Mk.I variant....

spitfire_side.jpg

spitfire_topdown.jpg

The Mk.I aileron diagram..... without the fabric covering

30012%252520SHT%2525201%252520G%252520GA%252520Aileron.jpg

The difference in shape of the early and late Spitfire rudder ...

SPITRUDDERS.jpg

209490.jpg

The elevators.... The source of diagrams ... different books about the Spitfire plane.

209491.jpg

And here you are the control system in a cockpit. The first diagram shows an early type of the control column, the second one the late variant of the pilot's stick.

209492.jpg

209493.jpg

Spitfire types and oleos....

From S. 84993/II/S.M.8.

Oleo Strut (Splined Ram) Type 90273: Spitfire I, II, VI
Oleo Strut (Splined Ram) Type 91244: Spitfire VA, VB, VC, XIII
Oleo Strut (Link Type) Type 91244/L: Spitfire VC, IX, XI, XII, XIII / Seafire II, III*
Oleo Strut (Splined Ram) Type 91545: Spitfire VII, VIII
Oleo Strut (Link Type) Type 91901: Spitfire VA, VB, VC, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XII, XIII
Oleo Strut (Link Type) Type 91986: Spitfire VC, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XII / Seafire II, III
Oleo Strut (Splined Ram) Type 91776: Spitfire XXI

* Type 91244/L is type 91244 converted to torsion link type for fitment in embodiment of Spitfire Mod. 838 (VII VIII), Mod. 832 (VC, IX, XII, XIII) and Seafire Mod. 110.

Another British Air Ministry document dated on the 28th of June 1943, Reference A.163676/41/S.M.8. identifies Spitfire Main Undercarriage Oleo Struts as follows;

Spitfire FI Oleo Strut Type 90273
Spitfire FIIA Oleo Strut Type 90273
Spitfire FIIB Oleo Strut Type 90273
Spitfire FVA Oleo Strut Type 90273
Spitfire FVB Oleo Strut Type 90273
Spitfire FVB TROP. Oleo Strut Type 90273
Spitfire FVC Oleo Strut Types 91244, 91901
Spitfire FVC TROP. Oleo Strut Types 91244, 91901
Spitfire FVI Oleo Strut Type 90273
Spitfire FVII Oleo Strut Types 91545, 91901
Spitfire FVIII Oleo Strut Types 91545, 91901
Spitfire FVIII TROP. Oleo Strut Types 91545, 91901
Spitfire FIX Oleo Strut Types 91244, 91901
Spitfire FXII Oleo Strut Types 91244, 91901
Spitfire PRIV Oleo Strut Type 90273
Spitfire PRVII Oleo Strut Type 90273
Spitfire PRXI Oleo Strut Types 91244, 91901
Spitfire PRXIII Oleo Strut Type 90273

The Spitfire early and late tail...

spitfi11.gif

I have read your post a couple of times already and I can see the problems you are highlighting.
I am lucky in one respect, though, that the kit I have purchased has only the most basic shape, so to speak, meaning that the canopy is plastic, and as such should be manageable to alterations. Is it correct that the difference between the early canopies and the later ones were the bulletproof windscreen? To quote Dowding: "If the gangsters in Chicago can have bullet proof windows I can't see any reason why my boys should have them either."
I seem to remember that the earlier Spits had the bulletproof layer (so to speak) mounted on the outside of the windscreen.
The two radiators are also made of plastic and should be "easy" to alter. Again a stroke of luck for me, I guess.
There are no cannon mounts (the drawings have me drill holes and insert the two plastic cannons myself) and the blisters for the ammo is plastic which I can just leave out. The surfaces of the wings are a smooth surface of balsa wood, so I would have to cut out the panels and the gun hatches anyway.
As for the front section, it consists of two halves (plastic) that I have to glue together, so I'll have to build the engine cowls from scratch.
The cockpit comes completely "naked" so I have to make the interior myself.
I hope I'm making sense here but in order to make things a little clearer, This is the link to the blog of a guy who made the r/c Spitfire Mk.IXc. This is the plane I'm going to turn into a Mk.Ia
Building a Scale Model Radio Control Spitfire: My Blog: Sitemap
Once again, guys, thank you for your response. It's really a tremendous help.
Cheers

Thank you for the link. I have already seen that. Really nice build. :D

To answer you question abot the windscreen... yes it was of a little different shape with the external armour glass fixed. Additionally, there was a small "window" made of thinner glass then the rest of the conopy at the port side of the slided back Malcolm Hood. By breaking of it , a pilot could level out the air pressure in the cockpit and outside when trying to open conopy for bailing out a Spitfire flying with high speed. The Mk.IX didn't have a such window but had the armour glass as the internal one.

SpitfireMk1&Mk9  cockpit conopy.jpg

Early windscreen ...

08es09_008.jpg

Spitfire_pilot_ready_in_cockpit.jpg

Late windscreen ...

ai_spitfire_mk_ix_20.jpg

ai_spitfire_mk_ix_03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back