Spitfire Mk II...venting for Coffman Starter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tony Hill

Tech Sergeant
Nov 21, 2008
South West, Australia
Hi Guys,

The Spit Mk II of course had the characteristic teardrop for the Coffman gear however what I can't find anywhere is the way the system vented.

The input tube was on the left rear of the Starter unit (as opposed to the "revolver" unit which actually held the cartridges) and the exhaust was on the right, opposite. But I can't find anywhere the details of where that exhaust vent was routed to.

I have a vague memory in what might loosely be termed my "mind", of seeing a Spitfire start (period film) where black smoke shot out in a thin jet somewhere low on the starboard side before or as the main exhausts belched white smoke. I can not remember where I have seen this or in fact if I am getting confused with something else entirely. However it does seem to fit with the downward track of the Coffman exhaust vent pipe.

Despite going through Mk II photos, I can not find any detailed ones of that area...all from "door" side..port. I have several Mk I photos showing the nose to starboard and plugs, etc but absolutely no clear Mk II

Any help greatly appreciated.

I'll have a look at my transparencies of the BBMF MkII Darryl. Can't promise anything, as it had a Merlin 66 (I think) in it at the time. I might be able to find something elsewhere though. I'll e-mail you if i find anything.

Thanks Terry,

I had some GA's emailed to me showing the vent.
I'll send you copies if interested.

Modern restorations or preserved...yes. difficult to trust them. BBMF's Spitfire II has never been "rebuilt" as I understand it but all military aircraft tend to "drift" versions over time, as we know,

cheers mate!!

Darryl

Apologies for digging up an ancient thread, but I was wondering if anyone still has this information. I'd like to know where the vent for this system exited the aircraft, and if possible, how many cartridges where held in the magazine. Thanks for any help!

Dan

coffma10.jpg

barillet: breech, five cartridges
démarreur: starter
canalisation: hose inlet
évent gaz brûlés: starter exhaust

coffma10.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much, that was everything I was hoping to find out! Sorry, I'd lost track of this thread and finally remembered where I'd asked. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back