Spitfire R/T Installations, Masts, Aerials

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very good! I had no trouble downloading it. The USAAF aircraft used the AN104 antenna, similar to the RAF version, with a wood core and a metal covering. If anyone wants to see what an SCR-522 looks like inside that box, I have one in my hangar. The SCR-522 was used as the basis for the development of the ARC-3 VHF radio that came into use at the end of WW2 and was widely used in both the USAF and USN aircraft after the war. It separated the transmitter and receiver into two separate boxes.

Note that the TR9D is said to have been battery operated. This was common for civilian light aircraft in the USA in the 1930's and 1940's but not for the military.

In the book "Corsair KD431" they point out that for fleet use the fighter had to have the VHF equipment removed and HF gear installed.

So that's what's inside them.

Note the hole in the tip of the AN104? Just like the Spit antenna, that was to enable it to be used as a mast for holding the HF antenna wire that ran from the mast to the tip of the tail.

Users who are viewing this thread