Spitfire Tailwheel?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Anmer

Recruit
Jun 20, 2022
Sorry my first post is a question and not a contribution!

My son was clearing out an old shed which was full to the gunnels and came across a tyre and wheel. From my limited research it may be a Spitfire tailwheel?

After some cleaning I can see AH 2184, clear on one side, not so clear on the other.

A couple of images are attached. Sized 800x600 pixels which I hope isn't too big?

Can anyone confirm it's from a Spitfire and shed any further light? Age?

Tail Wheel 2.jpg

Tail Wheel 1.jpg

Thanks.

Welcome aboard. I'm far from an expert on this but will offer this:

Spitfires of course came in many marks. I have an Illustrated parts catalogue for a PR.XIX Spitfire and the wheel AH 2184 is listed there. The tire however, may or may not be a modern replacement as I'm used to seeing Dunlop tires.

The Palmer Aero is the British manufacturer from London. They have made tyres since 1913 at least. I would say the tyre size could be correct for the Spitfire tail wheel but the rim/hub looks a little bit different from these I have seen so far. However there were two AH 2184 rim types for Spitfire. The AH2184/1 is of aluminum and the AH 2184/2 that is mag alloy with an aluminum inner plate. The later AH 2184/2 had a small rim on the outerpart of each wheel (about 1/8th inch).

tyre1a.jpg

tyre1b.jpg

tyre1.jpg

Tail Wheel 4.jpg

tyre3.jpg

tyre3a.jpg

Oh sorry Andy. Somehow I have missed your earlier post. Yes , the AH 2184 hub is for the Spitfires/Seafires. So .. the PR XIX would be correct. The first pic of my post #4 is just of the PR XIX Spitfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back