Spitfire Vb EP706/T-L of George Beurling, RAF, on Takali airfield, Malta

Discussion in 'Aircraft Markings and Camouflage' started by plheure2, Aug 12, 2014.

1. plheure2

plheure2 Member

Lab technician
    Greetings, esteemed Forum Masters:

If this has been debated here in the Forum before, my apologies in advance. Next year, I want to build George Beurling's T-L Spitfire, which was based on Malta in Oct. 1942. According to the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #83, "Malta Spitfire Aces", the aircraft flown in from the aircraft carriers ferrying the Spits to the island had the factory supplied camo pattern of Dk. Earth/Middlestone overpainted with a Dk. Blue-Gray paint from whatever stores were on board the carriers. Does anyone have any more references to that regard? I want to do Beurling's Spitfire up right..... the first time. Thank-you, as always, for all your assistance in advance.

Pete

2. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

You kicked the hornet's nest Pete.

3. Totalize

Totalize Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Pete,

Like Andy says, this is a very controversial subject regarding Malta spitfires and in particular George Beurling's spits that he flew while on the island.

There are a number of forum subjects about Beurling here on the site.

Here's mine.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/qu...out-buzz-beurlings-malta-spitfires-39240.html

One thing that doesn't seem to be in doubt is that Beurling was an exceptional shot. Who knows what he would have ran his score up to if he hadn't returned to Canada and essentially put out of action.

Dave.

4. plheure2

plheure2 Member

Lab technician
    Indeed so, Dave. I'm fortunate in having American Heroes Channel (formerly The Military Channel) on my tier from the cable company. Not to long ago, they ran a very good series called "Aces", and wouldn't you know that George Beurling's fighter pilot career was featured. Seems he got a bit too graphic when describing his exploits in the ETO, so the Canadian government put him out to pasture. Died trying to ferry aircraft to the new state of Israel in '48. Sorry to have kicked the hornets' nest again.....just finished eradicating a real one out in my back yard!

Pete

5. plheure2

plheure2 Member

Lab technician
    Hi Dave and Andy:

After looking through your posts and threads here on the Forum, I now have a clearer idea of what Beurling's T-L Spitfire should look like. I especially like the info garnered from AVM Keith Park's son. And here I always thought that Park flew around in a personal Hurricane! Learn something new every day. Thanks for the assist, mates! :p

Pete