Spitfire wing spar material

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ppopsie

Senior Airman
Nov 15, 2006
East end
Does anyone know about the material of the main spar franges on the early to mid models of the Spitfire?

I have got confused because on the very last of this video the narration says the tubes were in steel. But I think that was not unreasonable at the time of building the prototype aircraft.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwima1jX1PU

Spars were telescoping spring steeel, spar webs were aluminum. One version had an all aluminum spar, but that was a later varient.
Nate

The top and bottom front spars are indeed constructed from a series on aluminum alloy box sections placed one inside the other with the number of box sections reducing towards the wing tip.
The photo gives the idea explained above. The photo shows the wing of our MkVc which is under restoration at the moment.
Hope that helps,
Kind regards,
Dave
54.jpg

Thanks guys. I got Haynes' manual too. It must be a fantastic approach in the early days of the metal skinned airframe designing, but I wonder was this RJ Mitchel's original idea or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back