Spitfires in the Soviet Union.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Finnish downed 7 Spitfires in all. The VVS were willing to use whatever we gave them, but we didn't give them crap. 3000 Hurricane IIB and IIC, 20 IID and 30 IV. 1300 Spitfire V and IX. And whatever the Americans gave them P-40s, C-47s and P-39s.

On top of that the RAF had pilots out there when the first Hurricanes went out, and they destroyed 16 German aircraft while training the VVS.

The Mitchells were mostly going to the Pacific and the Med. The Americans (at least) didn't seem to send many of their best aircraft that way.

I'm looking for some camouflage documentation on Russian Spits, mkV's and IX's. I've seen some just snowy white and others ocean grey over camo grey with blue undersurfaces, like a yak. Anyone know any variations?

"The Soviet Union received at least 10 early-model Mustangs and tested them in combat. Some reports suggest that other Mustangs that were abandoned in Russia after the famous "shuttle missions" were repaired and used by the Soviet Air Force, but not in frontline service."

The NA-73 Mustang Mk.I - RAF number 348 was delivered to the USSR from England during 1942.This a/c was one of the ten planes mentioned by Flyboy.

source unknown.

Attachments

• NA-73 Mustang I.jpg
    NA-73 Mustang I.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 232
  • NA-73 Mustang I_.jpg
    NA-73 Mustang I_.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 153
I don't think they are A-36s - I can't see dive brakes...

Nice photos

I also think they are not A-36s 'cos the Russian source stated that ten NA-73s were delivered in 1941/1942 and were tested by NII VVS.The delivery of A-36s is not mentioned at all.

also had about 20? 0r more p-47s if see the site will post it

203 P-47Ds were also provided to the Soviet Union. There was a certain irony in sending aircraft designed by a Russian emigre back to Russia. The Soviets were unimpressed with the P-47. It could not match the agility of the lighter Soviet fighters, while it could not compete with the heavily armored purpose-designed Il-2 Shturmovik in the close-support role

Okay, fascinating. Wasn't sure on that score. I just know that the US used them and then got the mustang and they weren't heard about again. They couldn't really have been converted that easily could they to Mustangs?

Churchill promised Stalin some Spitfires and these were sent by sea to Basra, reassembled at Shaibah airbase and flown to Abadan where the Soviet pilots took them to Russia. We have restored a Merlin 66 engine from a crashed Spitfire found near Murmansk. The Spit. was shipped to Iraq aboard SS276, 19-1-45. I am struggling to find out what the vessel was and to find a picture of it. Can anyone assist? By the way...Other Spits went on Empire Stalwart, Empire Archer, Edmund Fanning.

The full history as far as I can find is:
The Spitfire, registered as SM639 was an LFIX built at the Castle Bromwich Factory fitted with a Merlin 66 S/N 160231, despatched to 33MU (Lyneham) on 2-12-44; then to 82MU (Lichfield) on 10-1-45 where it would have been crated and delivered to docks at, maybe, Swansea, shipped as deck cargo on SS276 arriving at Basra/Shaibah 28-1-45. Hapmat 13-2-45 (does anyone know what Hapmat is?). Found in a bog Near Archangel, on Kola pennisular it had most probably been crashed inverted as peat was found in the engine ports but the lower portions of engine were clean.
Can anyone tell me anymore of the operational history of SM639 as I have drawn a blank upto now?
(Over 1300 Spits went to the Red Airforce)

The Spit. was shipped to Iraq aboard SS276, 19-1-45. I am struggling to find out what the vessel was and to find a picture of it. Can anyone assist? By the way...Other Spits went on Empire Stalwart, Empire Archer, Edmund Fanning.

Soviet Air power in World War 2 by Yefim Gordon. Page 495"

"On 10th January 1943, S/S City of Derby arrrived in Basra Iraq, carrying the first 35 aircraft..."

I don't see any deliveries in 1945

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back